Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Laws regarding selling hard cider and apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Banjopicker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Laws regarding selling hard cider and apfelwein

I'm sure this has come up before but I'm having a hard time finding answers. I'd like to know what hoops and hurdles need to be negotiated before I could legally sell apfelwein in Vermont. I've seen wine for sale at farmers markets but didn't ask any questions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjopicker View Post
I'm sure this has come up before but I'm having a hard time finding answers. I'd like to know what hoops and hurdles need to be negotiated before I could legally sell apfelwein in Vermont. I've seen wine for sale at farmers markets but didn't ask any questions...
As far as I know to sell ANY alcohol you need a liquor license to make it (ATF wants their money). Anything you make at home can't be sold.

-Eric

Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
MMBB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The laws also vary wildly from state to state, county to county, and city to city. Your best bet is to start making phone calls to local agencies.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Regardless of which state you live in, you cannot sell homemade "alcohol" without the proper licensing (each states procedures and requirements are different, however they all require licensing of some sort). Basically, both federal and local governments tax alcohol. They want their money. In order to collect tax on the alcohol you sell, you must be registered and licensed to do so.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 76

http://liquorcontrol.vermont.gov/lic...lications.html

http://liquorcontrol.vermont.gov/sitemap.html

Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
BoomerCreek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I believe after the hurdles of licensing and tax id numbers are overcome, you will need to find an appropriate place to do your pressing, fermentation and bottling. A clean commercial kitchen which is inspected and licensed. Some wineries or breweries may be willing to rent you space to do your work in.

Boomer Creek Cider Co.

"They speak of my drinking but they never think of my thirst." -Scottish Proverb

Quick Reply