The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > to late to add Honey for Cyser?/too late to add Yeast Nutrient?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
SacredBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default to late to add Honey for Cyser?/too late to add Yeast Nutrient?

Hello,

I've got 6 carboys going of cider. One with champagne yeast and sugar added. ONe with wine yeast and sugar added. One with no yeast and sugar added.

And three with no yeast or no sugar. Of these three I'm hoping to add honey to make cyser towards the end of fermentation.

I've got two questions:

1) I meant to add the honey to make cyser before fermentation but did not have the honey. It's been 1 1/2 to 2 wees since fermentation has started. Can I still add the honey to make cyser? If so when would be the best time to add it? Now, or when fermenation is complete?

2) I havn't added yeast nutrient to any of the carboys though I meant to. Is it too late? (fermentation has been going for 1 1/2 to 2 weeks) Is yeast nutrient nessessary. Should I add any at this point?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1) If you add honey, my experience is that it is best to do it as early in the ferment as possible - however not all yeasts ferment out well with honey. Which ones are you using and what type of honey?

2) dont add nutrient unless you want your ciders to ferment out very dry with very little (if any) residual sugar

Old 11-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Pat_13
Recipes 

1) add it now while still fermenting

2) With table sugar or honey you might need it. Add it if it is still in first half of ferment (SG+FG/2) and if you add honey, but be careful it will release a lot of CO2 and might overflow if you don't have any headspace.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
SacredBrew
Recipes 

I don't know what kind of honey but I'm just using wild yeasts

Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never added honey or sugar to wild yeast ferments, but it would probably work OK as long as you add it after the ferment has got established but before its too far along - say within the first 10 points of the ferment. What is the current sg? You might even pick up some interesting wild yeasts from the honey if you started with the honey at the beginning of the ferment

Old 11-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
SacredBrew
Recipes 

I don't have a sg reading at the moment but I will try to get one soon. . . what do you mean by 10 points of the ferment?

Quick Reply