Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Lagering cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
Cposten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Lagering cider?

Am making a couple different batches of my "proven" "decent" cider recipe but with different yeasts. 2 are using lager yeasts but I was wondering if lagering a cider has any effect or am I just waste time (and thus valuable carboy space.) thanks for the time if you cider makers out there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Zider
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think there is no clear benefit or difference in taste.
Maybe it is a cleaner drink.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
thejudge
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Lagering produces a much cleaner tasting drink and let's more developed flavor come out. Don't see why you couldn't get a better cider from lagering let us know how it comes out.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Can you please describe your lagering process? I am planning to do a lager cider but it is more likely to be a long cold ferment all the way through using Saflager s-23. Cheers.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If by lagering you mean a low-temp, longer ferment, then most cidermakers would agree that it is beneficial. A cleaner, smoother cider with less 'heat' and more apple flavors are the commonly accepted results.

Be aware though. Many 'lager' yeasts, though flavorful, often result in a hazy cider that takes more time to drop clear than ale of wine yeasts.

Duganson Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
Cposten
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossey
Can you please describe your lagering process? I am planning to do a lager cider but it is more likely to be a long cold ferment all the way through using Saflager s-23. Cheers.
When ferm starts I lower my fridge to a couple degrees above min recommended yeast temp until ferm is done. Then raise the temp to about 62 for a couple days. After that I lower the temp around 5 degrees a day until it gets to 35F and let it sit for weeks. Usually at least 6 but some I've gone longer, never more than 3 months tho.

Only done it with beer, never tried with cider. Will definitely let you know how it goes.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 586 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 1669

I'm excited to hear about the results of your experiment. I've been toying around with the idea of making a "cider lager" for a while. The only reason I haven't yet is because I figured a "fruity" ale yeast would be more beneficial to a fruit-based beverage. I bet a nice "crisp" lager cider would be mighty refreshing though.

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Cposten
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_la5
I'm excited to hear about the results of your experiment. I've been toying around with the idea of making a "cider lager" for a while. The only reason I haven't yet is because I figured a "fruity" ale yeast would be more beneficial to a fruit-based beverage. I bet a nice "crisp" lager cider would be mighty refreshing though.
Yea I was thinking the same but got a free gallon of cider and figured why not give it a shot. Process is under way and ill let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
podz
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossey View Post
I am planning to lager my next batch of Edwort's Apfelwein as well. Mainly due to not wanting the sulphur odors inside the house.

Basically, I will start it in the house in my sauna where it's a steady 18c, then when it starts to stink I will move the demijohn to my dark cellar which is a steady 13c pretty much year round. Since the cellar is solid concrete walls and floor with a heavy foam insulated ceiling, smells can not escape into the house.

I just did a 5 litre batch at 18c and it finished in exactly 7 days - just bottled, taste is amazing. Might go a blt slower there in the cellar, but the plan is to let it stay there for a month.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by podz

I am planning to lager my next batch of Edwort's Apfelwein as well. Mainly due to not wanting the sulphur odors inside the house.

Basically, I will start it in the house in my sauna where it's a steady 18c, then when it starts to stink I will move the demijohn to my dark cellar which is a steady 13c pretty much year round. Since the cellar is solid concrete walls and floor with a heavy foam insulated ceiling, smells can not escape into the house.

I just did a 5 litre batch at 18c and it finished in exactly 7 days - just bottled, taste is amazing. Might go a blt slower there in the cellar, but the plan is to let it stay there for a month.
I pitched on June 3. A 6 gallon batch which has been at 11 C (52 F), in my converted freezer. The bubbles are tiny but plentiful.

Recipe was just 6 gallons (24L) juice, 1 cup chopped raisins and 2.5lb (1.25kg) dextrose. Saflager S-23 yeast.

This one's in for the long haul...

Quick Reply