The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Lager yeast leaving cider too sweet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
LeBreton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Lager yeast leaving cider too sweet

I've got a 5 gallon batch OG 1.060 going using a lager yeast. I was planning to bottle around 1.008 and bottle condition with pasteurization for a semi-dry sparkling product. After tracking the fairly steady fermentation around 0.003/day I had planned to bottle on Tuesday. When said day rolled around I took one last SG and to my horror this baby has pretty much stopped at 1.013, way to sweet for my tastes. I'm assuming I've maxed out the S-23 yeast used.

The only things I can think to do is:
1- Wait a few more days and hope it drops slowly, possibly bringing it to a warmer room in the house to aid this.
Con- I may never reach the target and if I do there may not be enough left for carbonation.
Pro - I may not need to pasteurize.

2- Pitch a wine/champagne yeast and watch carefully for that elusive 1.008. Con - If it takes off I may miss the target.

Anyone have support/opposition for either plan or a better idea?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Your current ABV is a little above 6% right now. Only thing I have found for alcohol tolerance for this yeast is "Final gravity: medium", and that don't tell me a whole helluva lot. It is a yeast that likes cooler temps, "Temperature range: 11°C - 24°C (51°F - 75°F), ideally 11°C - 15°C (51°F - 59°F)".

I would opt for #2, use Red Star Premier Cuvee, that is good for up to 18% ABV, you will probably hit your target in a couple days.

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, the spec sheet isn't very helpful. Not even an attenuation estimate to go by. It's been sitting in a basement around 60F.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
vze2hnvz
Recipes 

I'm still pretty inexperienced at cider, but if it were mine, I might try to add some nutrient and agitate the lee's/yeast and see where that takes it. It might go a little further, since you only have .005 to go. I'm not too familiar with lager yeasts, but that one is a bottom fermenter correct? Good luck.

Last edited by vze2hnvz; 12-24-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply