*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Lager yeast and carbonation cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Boogro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager yeast and carbonation cider?

I'm a home brewer and am making my first apple "cider". Has anyone ever lagered a cider, and if so has anyone carbonated it? Any input would be appreciated! Yeast strain, temps, carbonation? Thanks n' Cheers!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

By lagering a cider, do you mean to simply ferment it at a relatively low temperature?

If so, then yes, in fact that's the preferred method of fermenting cider. Most ale and wine yeasts work fine at those temps since apple juice is made entirely of easily to ferment simple sugars. Carbonation is the same as beer, bottle carbonation and keging are both viable options.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Boogro
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton
By lagering a cider, do you mean to simply ferment it at a relatively low temperature?

If so, then yes, in fact that's the preferred method of fermenting cider. Most ale and wine yeasts work fine at those temps since apple juice is made entirely of easily to ferment simple sugars. Carbonation is the same as beer, bottle carbonation and keging are both viable options.
Cold fermentation is correct, I have a bad habit of referring to it as lagering. I purchased white labs wlp720 (optimum temp is 70-75) but I am thinking about employing a "lager" strain instead, my thoughts being it would be more crisp and clean tasting (for my wife who usually drinks sweet, light bodied wines/beer). I will be kegging. Any thoughts?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't have any experience with that yeast strain, but the range seems pretty high for a low-temp ferment. Perhaps someone else can chime?

Quick Reply