New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Kmeta and Ksorbate creating off flavors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
CodyA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Kmeta and Ksorbate creating off flavors?

I have heard some say that potassium sorbate creates off flavors, and using Ksorbate without Kmeta makes for an even worse flavor. Have most found this to be true? And if so, how noticeable is it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Depends on the person. Ranging from an allergic reaction in some to a complete inability to sense even abnormally high concentrations in others. Most find sulfites to be more noticeable than sorbate in the same concentration IMO, but sorbate is generally used in higher dosages.

My threshold for sulfites is around 100ppm of free SO2, and find it gives a slightly metalic, sulfa taste. Never had too much sorbate identified as such but I assume it would be similar.

Never heard of anyone using sorbates without sulfites so can't comment on that part. But properly used, 99% of the population cannot taste them in a product.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
CodyA
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Cool, I'll only have about 25ppm of Kmeta and 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of Ksorbate, so it sounds like I should be playing it on the safe side (unless there are any allergic reactions that is).

Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

I don't have any issues with k-meta, and I think it's around 70 ppm or even a bit more that is under the taste threshold. I normally use 50 ppm for antioxidant and preservative effects.

Sorbate I can taste a mile away, and I dislike it. I don't think there is any taste threshold with it, but I think some people are less likely to find it offensive.

Quick Reply