Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Keeping it sweet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Jeremy012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keeping it sweet

Hey guys,

I've been looking around at the threads but I haven't found the exact answer.

I started a 1 gallon cider batch today using 100% pasteurized cider. Heated some cider up to dissolve 2 cups of dark brown sugar. I then added it to the primary after it cooled along with some yeast nutrient.

My SG is sitting at 1.072

My goal is it keep it somewhat sweet for the wife. Would you recommend I transfer to the secondary at a reading of 1.010 or let it ferment dry then add some more cider?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
sethga
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Holy high SG - what yeast are you using?

I recommend cold crashing, and racking.. a few times. Good luck w/ that.

Don't add more cider, it will just start to ferment again. IMO (my personal taste) looks like it's gonna turn out to be jet fuel

Old 03-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I say let it ferment dry and then backsweeten to your taste. In the mean time read the sticky at the top of this forum about stove-top pasteurising.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Making semi-dry (sweet) cider is easy - the challenge comes when you want it carbonated and bottled as well as semi-dry. Do you want carbonated or still cider? If carbonated, would you be using bottles or kegs?

Jim

Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
Jeremy012
Recipes 

I would like to make this batch carbonated as my first was a still cider. I will most likely use flip top bottles that I have, however I may get some some beer bottles to use, not sure which one is better.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy012 View Post
I would like to make this batch carbonated as my first was a still cider. I will most likely use flip top bottles that I have, however I may get some some beer bottles to use, not sure which one is better.
Jeremy, making semi-dry, carbonated, bottle conditioned cider is a challenge. For example, going back to your original post, neither of your suggestions will work.

Racking to secondary will not be sufficient to get rid of all the yeast and when you bottle the yeast will keep working until you get exploding bottles. Your other idea of backsweetening with apple juice is also a problem. The yeast will eat up all the sugar of the additional juice, leaving your cider dry. Or if you stop the yeast chemically before backsweetening, you won't have any yeast to bottle condition (carbonate) the cider.

One option available (and what I do) is stove top pasteurizing the bottles after they are carbonated, described in the sticky above.

Another option is to stop the yeast after bottle conditioning by chilling the bottles. You can't let the bottles warm back up, though, or the yeast will go back to work.

A third option is to let the cider ferment dry, backsweeten with a non-fermentable like splenda, then prime with sugar and bottle.

Jim

Quick Reply