Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Just an idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

Default Just an idea

What if you made a hard cider sorta....backwards? This is what I mean, you use apple juice concentrate but don't add it until the secondary stage. What if you used your water, honey, brown sugar or whatever you plan on your yeast consuming, you then add your yeast and to this, let it go, when it's done transfer this to secondary and add your apple juice concentrate, let this sit for awhile until done. The only reason I was thinking this was because of the stripping of the apple juice flavor in its primary stage, I was just wondering if this would give the cider a more of an apple taste. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Might be worth a 1 - 3 gallon batch experiment.

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Maybe

Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
CRock303
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've racked onto concentrate a couple times and I liked the results, the only problem I had with it was It didn't fill up the headspace that was created in the racking. It will also boost the ABV and I've been trying to keep mine lower for whatever reason lately. I'm buying 6 gallons of juice and saving the sixth for filling headspace on rackings.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock303
I've racked onto concentrate a couple times and I liked the results, the only problem I had with it was It didn't fill up the headspace that was created in the racking. It will also boost the ABV and I've been trying to keep mine lower for whatever reason lately. I'm buying 6 gallons of juice and saving the sixth for filling headspace on rackings.
Nice, I might try this on a small batch like suggested.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Nannerfox
Recipes 

I did something similar. Doing a 2 gallon test batch of store bought filtered cider. Racked to secondary last night and added concentrate to fill the head space. What I had leftover tasted pretty decent.

Quick Reply