Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Juice machine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
bluefoxicy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Juice machine

Mom has an excess juice machine now. The silly folks that made it told her to disable it by cutting the plug off the cord and sending it in, and they'll send her a new machine (the handle broke off hers, that's all). I build guitar amps, do you really think I can't crimp/solder/etc and epoxy seal a new plug onto a cord?

I might wind up with a juice machine. I'm thinking, juicing apples for cider, or ginger to spice up ginger beer/saison/soda/etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's a rhetorical question. Lemme translate for y'all.

Quote:
The silly folks that made mom's juice maker told her to disable it by cutting the plug off the cord and sending the plug in, and they'll send her a new machine. I build guitar amps, do they really think I can't crimp/solder/etc and epoxy seal a new plug onto a cord?

Mom has an extra juice machine now. Which means I might wind up with a juice machine. What do you all think of using it to juice apples for cider, or ginger to spice up ginger beer/saison/soda/etc?
He's not asking for help, he's saying, "Geez the manufacturers of products in this disposable society we live in these days are idiots. They think we are so bloody incompetent that we are no longer capable of replacing a broken plug. But hey, if they are stupid enough to send my mother a replacement machine simply by sending in the cut off cord, I might as well take advantage of it. Especially since I repair/build guitar amps all the time.

Gents, do you think such a thing would be useful in the home brewing environment?"

Maybe it's a Maryland thing,that type of sentence structure that is?

(I can't remember what it's called...Is it a "reflexive" sentence?)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 09-15-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Awesome interpretation Revvy.

Yeah he is just asking if its worth it to juice his own apples. Many people argue that fresh juice can produce the best cider, but the benefit of juicing your own would be that you can select your apples. But if you are using eating apples instead of cider apples anyways, wouldn't it be better to just buy it? It does take a ton of time and apples for even 1 gallon.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If he is asking if its worth it to juice his own apples for cider a thread that was bumped the day he made the thread would have come up in a search.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Last edited by BuffaloSabresBrewer; 09-15-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Damn guys, chill out and re-read the message. Like Revvy said, he's not asking for help, he's poking fun at the manufacturer for thinking cutting the cord off is going to "disable" the juicer.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post

Congrats on the free juicer I guess.
+1?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
Bender

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy View Post
Mom has an excess juice machine now. The silly folks that made it told her to disable it by cutting the plug off the cord and sending it in, and they'll send her a new machine (the handle broke off hers, that's all). I build guitar amps, do you really think I can't crimp/solder/etc and epoxy seal a new plug onto a cord?

I might wind up with a juice machine. I'm thinking, juicing apples for cider, or ginger to spice up ginger beer/saison/soda/etc?
I had this happen with a B&D toaster oven. Clipped the cord and sent it to them. After they send a replacement I replaced the cord, glued on the broken handles and had a new toaster oven for the vacation house.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I inherited it from my father, so don't blame me if I sound like an old man.

But they just don't make things like they used to. They make things to break and be thrown out, and the companies treat US like we're incapable of doing anything functional. And maybe we can't any more, maybe those skills are pretty much enculturated out of society, so we are just cogs in the consumer machine.

My dad was the king of "re purposing" things, especially things tossed out on trashday. Slap a little paint, solder a wire here or there, and whammo.

I am so glad I picked up that trait from him. Plus I subscribe to both Make and Craft magazines, which are big on the diy/re purposing ethos. And I love digging through OLD copies of popular mechanics from the turn of the last century til the late 60's back before lawyers made everything have safety guards and discouraged you from serious tinkering....I guess that's why I like this hobby so much, we can do stuff, make stuff...

Though I miss shadetree mechanics...If you had a car problem, you pulled it into your neighbor's back yard, and all the old timer's came over, and at LEAST one of them knew what was wrong immediately...And for the cost of a trip to the auto parts store (do they still actually sell AUTO PARTS in those stores these days?) and a case of Stroh's you were back on the road in a couple hours...

Remember when you could actually stick your hand inside the engine compartment and do stuff??? In my lifetime I have actually changed the struts on my old Honda, replaced a fan, changed a thermostat, did countless break jobs....But I can't remember the last time or last car I could do anything like that on...at least 4 vehicles ago...And I cant even remember the last time I changed my own oil.... Sheesh...maybe we really do need a Zombipocalype so we can get back to the good ole days, before corporate America did our thinking for us....

/rant

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
bluefoxicy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But they just don't make things like they used to. They make things to break and be thrown out, and the companies treat US like we're incapable of doing anything functional.
This has been referenced as the "throw-away society" and in fact I think that's an actual technical term. Good examples of this tend to include things like CD-R media (to transfer ONE SMALL FILE) and packaging (HP, Dell), but these days we also landfill any computer more than 2 years old and buy a new $400 one (remember when a 486 was $2000?). I use rechargeable batteries because I refuse to spend tons of money on my battery-chewing devices like the Wiimote or digital camera; most people I know keep a 50 pack of AAs for these.

Mods: Should probably move this to General Chit-Chat.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys...let's reconsider the original post a little bit, here!

Apples, or any friut, ran through a counter-top juicer is going to be HEAVY with sediment, right!

Does anyone have any idea how much sediment would be in a 5-gallon bucket of this juice. Think about it, there would be no cap to be constantly punching down.

Ferment it under a cheese cloth, pour the juice/must off of the sediment into a secondary, and you are on your way, right!

Would not this method yield way more juice????

Anyone got any experience in this area?

Pogo

BTW - Couldn't the juice be filtered out of the sediment with a fine mesh nylon bag, or would the sediment be so fine that it would pass right through, (Hmmm...maybe pantyhose would do a better job) and use the fruit sediment in jams, jellies, pie fillings, etc.?

Huh?

Last edited by Pogo; 09-15-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply