Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Its all at the bottom!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
jfrans84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Its all at the bottom!

Ok, I'm trying several experiments all at once just to see what things taste like. My problem with this one is my honey sank to the bottom. I put half a gallon of AJ concentrate with 1 lb of honey on the stove a warmed it just enough to dissolve the honey. I let it come to room temp and pitched my yeast. I woke up this morning. All the honey is at the bottom. I put a flashlight behind it so you can see it easier. What should I do? It is bubbling slowly so I'm apprehensive about shaking it up? I don't know?? Help

image-3395858762.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

How long has it been fermenting? I assume by "woke up this morning" that you might have pitched it yesterday?

If you pitched it yesterday...my suggestion would be shake it up. The sooner the better. If you wait to long into fermentation, you will oxidize it. It might just sink back to the bottom regardless, but at least you can try now. You won't be able to once fermentation is almost complete.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

As long as it is out gassing oxidization is not a risk go a head and mix it up.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
jfrans84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok I'll do that when I get home. By the time I get home it would have been fermenting for less then 24hours

Quick Reply