Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Issues with my Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
dinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Issues with my Cider

I am very new to this and I am looking for some help.

On 10/01/07 I began a raspberry cider. I used 100% apple juice, 30 ounces of raspberries (non frozen) and 2 table spoons of sugar for sport. I use the mead slap pack yeast that a local homebrew supplier recomended (I cant remember the number).

Anyways, blended up the raspberries and mixed it all together and let it go. I had activity in the air-lock within 6 hours and a strong sulfur smell late the next day. I did some reading that most people pasturized/cooked their berries before adding them. I got paranoid and decided to transfer the cider to a secondary and strain off all the excess seeds and pulp from the berries. I did this on day 3. After doing this I still had strong activity in the air lock and lots of stinky sulfur.

About 2 days ago activity in the air lock pretty much stopped, I have it a lil shake and left it alone. Last night I checked it again and there was still now bubbles. So I took a sample and the hydrometer read 1.00 even. The cider is still cloudy and smells.

Sooooooo..... Is this totally normal for only being one week old or did I kill the yeast when I moved it to the secondary? If so should I re-pitch?

Any help or advice would be great..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I know it is a different recipe, but look at Edwort's Apfelwein.

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.p...orts+apfelwein

It takes about a month to clear and finish. The bubbling lasts about a week and it stinks like sulphur.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

It is impossible to remove all of the yeast from homebrew. You can kill it with heat or campden tablets.

At 1.000, I'd say it's time to let the crud settle out. Give it 3-4 weeks.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
dinks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk305
I know it is a different recipe, but look at Edwort's Apfelwein.

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.p...orts+apfelwein

It takes about a month to clear and finish. The bubbling lasts about a week and it stinks like sulphur.
That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
dinks
Recipes 

I know my cider is still young, but at what point do you use campden? The guy at the local home brew place said to toss it in about 24/48 hours prior to bottling. Is that right?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
Adolphus79
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinks
I know my cider is still young, but at what point do you use campden? The guy at the local home brew place said to toss it in about 24/48 hours prior to bottling. Is that right?
If you let it clear on it's own (wait a couple months), you won't need to use campden. The purpose of campden before bottling is if you want to stop fermentation (residual sweetness, etc.). If you're looking for a still (non-carb'd) cider, just let it sit for a month or so until it's completely cleared, then bottle.

The normal use for campden is 24 hours before pitching the yeast to kill off any wild yeast or other baddies in there.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
dinks
Recipes 

What about if I am planning on kegging/carbing the cider?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:07 AM   #8
Adolphus79
Recipes 

If you plan on carbing, then you really don't want to kill off the yeast... when it's clear and you're ready to carb, rack it onto your priming sugar and keg away...

Quick Reply