Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Irish Moss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
woodbridgebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Irish Moss

Is Irish moss OK to use to help with the clarity of cider? I have not seen any recipes with it as an ingredient.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've never had a need for it - cider has always dropped clear in secondary. Mind you, I wouldn't bother anyway, since I don't mind murk if the murk doesn't taste bad (You should see the chill haze when I make a summer ale).

Old 09-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4456 Times on 3244 Posts
Likes Given: 866

No, afraid not. IM is used as kettle finings- that is they are boiled in the kettle for the last 10 minutes. You don't boil cider.

But, you can use other finings that work great! Like, pectic enyzme in the primary for one. Then, sparkelloid or isinglass in the secondary at the last racking. Your cider can be crystal clear with any of those techniques. Well, that and time, of course.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can boil the proscribed amount of irish moss for 10 minutes, let it cool a bit (but definitely not enough for it to gel) and pour it in. It will form a layer about 3/8" thick on top of the liquid. After about two days, it will start making "threads" off the bottom of the layer, which will eventually fall to the bottom once the sequester enough proteins. Sometimes right at the beginning, they get all clumped up and just stay stuck on the top, so after about a day or two if you see the "threads" you can gently "knock" on the carboy (as if it were a door), and the ones that are ready to drop out will do so.

IM/whirlfloc does need to be boiled, but I can't think of any reason why it absolutely has to be boiled with the wort (definitely no functional reason, I would assume). Adding it later results in that gel layer, but it drops out after a few days and is functionally equivalent to doing things the normal way.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Quick Reply