Irish ale yeast for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icu812

Reaction score
My brewing plans changed for this weekend im not brewing. I have a nice starter of irish ale yeast on a stir plate. I know i can save it but im up for experimenting. I will be using a 3 gallon better bottle to keep the batch small. Any ideas? :mug:

Bulk apple juice on top of a quart (?) of pomegranate juice?

I see different company's offerings of Pom, and I know that they have some sweetner in them, but I've never check for other chems, so I don't know what you'd find. There's always the classic "Pom" (brand?)... there's no sweetner in it, but again, I don't know if they put any preservatives in it.

I've never done any of the flavored ciders, being nubish myself and just playing w/ plain juice and sugar.

I've never done any of the flavored ciders, being nubish myself and just playing w/ plain juice and sugar.

I've got two 7 gal lots of mead on the go right now, but I recently obtained a 3gal carbuoy so I decided to try out a cider idea i've had banging around. Its noobish, as well, as it's my first beer-strength beverage.

I mixed up 3 gallons of the local unpasturized, unfiltered apple cider (darker than dirt) and enough demerara sugar (molasses sugar) to bring the SG up to around 1.050. I pitched some Cooper's beer yeast, as I read good stuff about it in the context of beer.

Like I said, it's a simple mix, but I've got some high hopes. Final plan is to bottle it in beer bottles when it's done, priming with a bit of corn sugar to carb in bottle.

I love experimenting with new stuff, but occasionally I like to go back to the well and just try something old with care and quality ingredients and the "wisdom" :cross: afforded me by my experiences since the last time I made something simple.

Back