*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Irish ale yeast for cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
icu812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Irish ale yeast for cider?

My brewing plans changed for this weekend im not brewing. I have a nice starter of irish ale yeast on a stir plate. I know i can save it but im up for experimenting. I will be using a 3 gallon better bottle to keep the batch small. Any ideas?

Smellin like a brewery lookin like a tramp ain't got a quarter got a postage stamp and a five o'clock shadow boxing all around the town talking with the old men sleeping on the ground.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
jharres
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed a 5 gallon batch with WLP028, Edinburgh Ale Yeast and it worked well. Go for it!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Pom-poms.

Bulk apple juice on top of a quart (?) of pomegranate juice?

I see different company's offerings of Pom, and I know that they have some sweetner in them, but I've never check for other chems, so I don't know what you'd find. There's always the classic "Pom" (brand?)... there's no sweetner in it, but again, I don't know if they put any preservatives in it.

I've never done any of the flavored ciders, being nubish myself and just playing w/ plain juice and sugar.

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat.
Taste's so sweet, it can't be beat.
Good in the cold or in the heat.
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
SegmentedMonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSponge View Post
I've never done any of the flavored ciders, being nubish myself and just playing w/ plain juice and sugar.
I've got two 7 gal lots of mead on the go right now, but I recently obtained a 3gal carbuoy so I decided to try out a cider idea i've had banging around. Its noobish, as well, as it's my first beer-strength beverage.

I mixed up 3 gallons of the local unpasturized, unfiltered apple cider (darker than dirt) and enough demerara sugar (molasses sugar) to bring the SG up to around 1.050. I pitched some Cooper's beer yeast, as I read good stuff about it in the context of beer.

Like I said, it's a simple mix, but I've got some high hopes. Final plan is to bottle it in beer bottles when it's done, priming with a bit of corn sugar to carb in bottle.

I love experimenting with new stuff, but occasionally I like to go back to the well and just try something old with care and quality ingredients and the "wisdom" afforded me by my experiences since the last time I made something simple.

Quick Reply