New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Ingredients for cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
RichBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default Ingredients for cider

Other than apple cider and yeast, what else goes into making a good hard cider? Very tempted to try one.
How long does it take to make one?

Cheers,
Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Alx Rains
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can add malt and/or dextrose, I always add extra dextrose, but I have only ever done them from kits, adding juice. For some reason my head keeps telling me to put cornsyrup in to "Thicken" it because something offends me when it doesn't have any head, but maybe that is just me. Mine brew out in about 2 weeks @ about 20 deg celcius. they are drinkable after 2 weeks in the bottle but more so when they've been sitting for 4-6 weeks. have fun!

"I love to have a beer with Duncan, cos Duncans me mate"- Slim Dusty

Bubbling Away:Lemonadey/grapefruity thing
:Belgian gold Ale
Berry Cider
[B]Aging:[/B:Berry Cider
: Coopers Mexican,
: Extra Gingery Ginger beer

In the Fridge: Munich Lager
:Spiced Cider

Old 02-27-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
Talcottsk
Recipes 

My kit came with : pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, wine tannin, and an acid blend (powder) I have found lots of recipes with all of these chemicals--not sure if you mean chemical ingredients
can always add other fruit flavors, spices, different sugars, syrups etc to add/change flavor--amount of alcohol will likely change it too (but as a novice I really dont know about tastes of different alcohol levels )

My first batch took me 1 week primary, 1 week seconday but I think I rushed the secondary--going to wait 3 months to drink

Time can also be changed by how much extra sugars you add and what kind of yeast you use, i'd guess anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month or more

Old 02-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
Other than apple cider and yeast, what else goes into making a good hard cider? Very tempted to try one.
How long does it take to make one?
You just need a decent apple juice (no preservatives or added sugar) and an ale/cider yeast and some nutrient to help. Don't add any excessive sugars and you can carbonate them easily. Hard cider comes from acidic rather than 'eating' apples traditionally - If you add fruits with apple cider i'd suggest acidic additions for flavour rather than to boost 'sugar' for ABV.
It's well worth the experiment though. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
You just need a decent apple juice (no preservatives or added sugar) and an ale/cider yeast and some nutrient to help. Don't add any excessive sugars and you can carbonate them easily. Hard cider comes from acidic rather than 'eating' apples traditionally - If you add fruits with apple cider i'd suggest acidic additions for flavour rather than to boost 'sugar' for ABV.
It's well worth the experiment though. Good luck!
OK now you are peaking my interest! I wonder if I could do some experimental one gallon batches?

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One gallon experiments are great! You can test until you find something you love without the space or expense of commiting to 5 gallon etc.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
One gallon experiments are great! You can test until you find something you love without the space or expense of commiting to 5 gallon etc.
Oh man! Looking for apples as I write this!

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-28-2006, 01:53 AM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

If you can find good fresh juice in glass gallons, all you need to add is some yeast and an airlock. I generally pour off a cup of juice to leave room for fermenting. Unfortunately, plastic gallons are about all I can find around here.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-28-2006, 01:59 AM   #9
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
If you can find good fresh juice in glass gallons, all you need to add is some yeast and an airlock. I generally pour off a cup of juice to leave room for fermenting. Unfortunately, plastic gallons are about all I can find around here.
I was thinking of doing just that. I was also thinking about using 1/2 gallon growlers for fermenters. Can I send apples through my juicer to make cider? Sounds like most ciders are made from a mixture of apples but it might be kinda fun to try.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-28-2006, 06:42 AM   #10
mrzud
Recipes 

I would recommend waiting at least 2 months (the longer the better) for the cider to properly age before drinking.

I have 10 gals that are 6 months plus and are so much better than the batch that was only 1 month.

Quick Reply