Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > I'm new and I need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
stevetree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlg

Also do I use apple juice or apple cider? Can I mix them and use both?

And Can I reduce the recipe? Like instead of 5 gals use 2.5 gal?

Thanks
Nicole
Yes, you can use either, or mix them. It will taste a little different, but as long as it has no preservatives, you'll be fine.
You can reduce the recipe, but you'll need a smaller bottle. You want some 'headspace' in the bottle, but too much could possibly allow oxygen into the mix at the wrong time, turning your hard cider into vinegar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
nlg
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default I think I screwed up already! Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
I would suggest that you try just putting a few grams of yeast into one of the original containers. 2 gallons in a 5 gallon jug might be stretching it. This probably won't give you fizzy, but it will give you a starting point for how to scale up.

Dump out about a cup of the juice...then put 3 or so grams of yeast right into the original container and put the cap on loosely. Make sure to check it each day to see if it's building too much pressure. The cap should allow CO2 to be released, but not let air in. You can also put a balloon on top of the container with a small pin hole in it. (homemade airlock)

Give it two weeks to ferment and then transfer it to a clean container and pop it in the fridge. You'll probably need to consume it within a few days. It's nothing fancy, but you'll be able to tell if you like cider making or not. If you can keep the temps around 60-62ºF you should end up with a semi-sweet cider...if it's warm, it might ferment all the way 'dry'.

The most important thing to remember is to sanitize anything that would come in contact with your cider.
So I took your advise and started small, a gal of apple cider, and about 3 g of yeast. But when I bought the packet of yeast 2 weeks about I didn't store it in the refrigerater. Does that matter? and The apple cider was cold right out of the frig. Was it suppost to be room temp.? Let me know.
Nicole

Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlg

So I took your advise and started small, a gal of apple cider, and about 3 g of yeast. But when I bought the packet of yeast 2 weeks about I didn't store it in the refrigerater. Does that matter? and The apple cider was cold right out of the frig. Was it suppost to be room temp.? Let me know.
Nicole
It is a little more ideal to add the yeast to cider or juice that is not that cold, But it's really not a big deal because once it warms up to room temperature the yeast will kick off.... It sounds like you're okay Nicole so don't worry.
As far as the yeast is concerned you're fine....
Give it a couple days and you'll start seeing that little airlock doing it's dance!
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #24
nlg
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Ok Thanks. I guess I just have to wait now.
Nicole

Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlg
Ok Thanks. I guess I just have to wait now.
Nicole
Yes, The waiting game is the hardest part...
Sometimes I stare at it for hours with hopes that I can make it go faster with my mind... Lol
Just kidding

Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
hehawbrew
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

I'm starting to realize why throughout history, Monks, Friars, and the lot are such good brewers: you need patients! I have none, so I had the foresight to make a few 1/2 gallon batches to sip from as the other couple gallons I have sit!

So- after 15 days I racked a few others gallons to new carboys to get em off the sediment. This morning I checked on em, and there seems to be as much sediment as before?!?! Is that more dead yeast?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #27
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehawbrew
I'm starting to realize why throughout history, Monks, Friars, and the lot are such good brewers: you need patients! I have none, so I had the foresight to make a few 1/2 gallon batches to sip from as the other couple gallons I have sit!

So- after 15 days I racked a few others gallons to new carboys to get em off the sediment. This morning I checked on em, and there seems to be as much sediment as before?!?! Is that more dead yeast?
I don't think so think its just solids dropping out but you way wanna ask the big dogs.... Hopefully they will chime in...

Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
truck1985
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehawbrew View Post

Don't worry, it is just sediment settling out. There might be some dead yeast cells in that sediment, but if your airlock is bubbling, then you have fermentation, and therefore live yeast cells.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
hehawbrew
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

Sweet. Not a lot of activity. Maybe a bubble every two minutes or so.

Think it's safe for me to prime and bottle in a few days?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #30
diptherunner
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehawbrew
Sweet. Not a lot of activity. Maybe a bubble every two minutes or so.

Think it's safe for me to prime and bottle in a few days?
Take a gravity reading for a few consecutive days, once it's leveled out, and you have hit your target fg then, yes. Otherwise, bubbles every 2 minutes or so is still fermentation. I would wait.

Quick Reply