Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > I'm new and I need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
nlg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default I'm new and I need some help

Hello,
I'm new and I need some help. I want to make hard cider that is sweet and fizzy but I don't know what recipe to use. I've been searching but there are so many I don't know how to decide. I've never done this before so I need something simple and easy to understand, but by 'simple' I don't want to sacrifice quality(as was the case with the original recipe I found telling me to use the apple juice listed below). Here is what I have (let me know if I need anything else).
•1 gal Old Orchard Organics 100% Apple Juice Pasteurized
•1 gal Trader Joe's 100% Apple Cider No preservatives Pasteurized
•5 gal glass jug
•1 -5 g packet of Lalvin wine yeast Selection ICV D47 Saccharomices cerevisiae 4.5 -23 L (1-5 IMP. Gal/ 1-6 U.S. Gal)
Thank you for your help
Nicole

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
burshaw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You will need some Corn sugar and you should be good google a hard cider recipes and pick your favorite good luck!

¤Viking¤Hard¤Cider¤

Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
burshaw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh and you will need an airlock and more apple juice to fill you 5 gallons my first attempt turned out amazing and its currently aging for a few months. you could also pick up some cinnamon sticks and a micky of vodka soak a stickin vodka before you throw it in your cider.

¤Viking¤Hard¤Cider¤

Old 02-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlg
Hello,
I'm new and I need some help. I want to make hard cider that is sweet and fizzy but I don't know what recipe to use. I've been searching but there are so many I don't know how to decide. I've never done this before so I need something simple and easy to understand, but by 'simple' I don't want to sacrifice quality(as was the case with the original recipe I found telling me to use the apple juice listed below). Here is what I have (let me know if I need anything else).
•1 gal Old Orchard Organics 100% Apple Juice Pasteurized
•1 gal Trader Joe's 100% Apple Cider No preservatives Pasteurized
•5 gal glass jug
•1 -5 g packet of Lalvin wine yeast Selection ICV D47 Saccharomices cerevisiae 4.5 -23 L (1-5 IMP. Gal/ 1-6 U.S. Gal)
Thank you for your help
Nicole
If you want easy and simple lets state with this:
Looks like you have two selections of juice and if it is easy to go grab the two, great... But don't think you have to. If you can't find one or the other don't worry. Just make sure there are no preservatives.

Airlock (I like to add vodka to the lock instead of sanitizer or water; even boiled water).

You will need to make sure everything is clean and sanitized.

Definitely youtube a few videos on "make hard cider" or "hard cider" and you'll get the hang of it fast.
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I would suggest that you try just putting a few grams of yeast into one of the original containers. 2 gallons in a 5 gallon jug might be stretching it. This probably won't give you fizzy, but it will give you a starting point for how to scale up.

Dump out about a cup of the juice...then put 3 or so grams of yeast right into the original container and put the cap on loosely. Make sure to check it each day to see if it's building too much pressure. The cap should allow CO2 to be released, but not let air in. You can also put a balloon on top of the container with a small pin hole in it. (homemade airlock)

Give it two weeks to ferment and then transfer it to a clean container and pop it in the fridge. You'll probably need to consume it within a few days. It's nothing fancy, but you'll be able to tell if you like cider making or not. If you can keep the temps around 60-62ºF you should end up with a semi-sweet cider...if it's warm, it might ferment all the way 'dry'.

The most important thing to remember is to sanitize anything that would come in contact with your cider.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
burshaw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What i did for my homemade airlock was took a some plastic tubes and attach a lid on the carboy with a small hole in it put on end of the tube in there make sure its airtight the other wnd put into a small bottle with water and vodka and a hole in he lid ill attach pics

forumrunner_20130301_102130.png

forumrunner_20130301_102157.png

¤Viking¤Hard¤Cider¤

LoloMT7 Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burshaw
What i did for my homemade airlock was took a some plastic tubes and attach a lid on the carboy with a small hole in it put on end of the tube in there make sure its airtight the other wnd put into a small bottle with water and vodka and a hole in he lid ill attach pics
Sounds like a project? My airlock was $1.50, Won't this be a little easier to just buy one?
(I forget, not all of us have a homebrew store in their town maybe it's a question of getting airlock quick?)

Old 03-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
burshaw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thats my problem closest store is about an hour drive it was free for me to make and worked fantastic so why not

¤Viking¤Hard¤Cider¤

Old 03-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
burshaw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do however plan on getting one for my next brew in a few months its just a pain in the ass to get into town

¤Viking¤Hard¤Cider¤

Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burshaw
Thats my problem closest store is about an hour drive it was free for me to make and worked fantastic so why not
Yes, I figured that was probably the problem.
It did look like a great job however!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS