New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Im 6 days in, my airlock has stoped bubbling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
Masterbaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Im 6 days in, my airlock has stoped bubbling

whats wrong? its only bin 6 days and my airlock has stoped.......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
thomasdt12
Recipes 

so far my initial beers don't "bubble" for more than 3-5 days...

My first brew: Porter, extract kit
2nd: Cream Ale, extract kit
3rd: Honey Hefeweizen, just bottled
4th: Oatmeal Stout, in Primary

Old 10-04-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Masterbaker
Recipes 

is it done then?

Old 10-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
thomasdt12
Recipes 

I am a bit of a newbie, but I would test final gravity and see if it changes after a few days. Not sure on Cider though...is that what you made?

My first brew: Porter, extract kit
2nd: Cream Ale, extract kit
3rd: Honey Hefeweizen, just bottled
4th: Oatmeal Stout, in Primary

Old 10-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #5
Masterbaker
Recipes 

yes i made cider

Old 10-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #6
Reedwalker
Recipes 

Too many variables.

Temp. OG. Yeast strain. Yeast viability and amount of yeast pitched.

Only your hydrometer can tell you. But you should wait at least 14 days. Just because the yeasties are done off gassing CO2 does not mean they are done working to clean up the mess.

RDWHAHB

Hot on left, cold on right, $^*t rolls downhill, and paydays on Friday. You're now an apprentice plumber.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If your yeast is able to ferment at a higher temperature, and you allowed it to ferment at the recommended temperature, it is possible that you just had a very quick fermentation. If this is the case, then your yeast could be dead because of high alcohol content, or there are no fermentables left for the yeast to eat. One way to check, is by taking a hydrometer reading and subtracting it from your original reading, then multiplying it by 131. That will give you an estimated percentage of ABV. For example (if you took measurements at 60 degrees F):

1.060 - 0.995 = 0.065 * 131 = 8.515% ABV

Now if you're using a yeast with an alcohol tolerance of 5-10% then you could assume that either the yeast has died off because of high alcohol content, or because your final gravity reading is low, that there are no fermentables left.

If your FG were 1.020:

1.060 - 1.020 = 0.040 * 131 = 5.24% ABV

Although your yeast would be rated at 5-10%, 5.24% is on the low end of the scale and is a bit suspect. At this point it would look like a stuck fermentation. You could either accept the cider as a low alcohol, naturally sweet hard cider...or you could try to restart the fermentation process.

It would help us help you if you added a bit of substance to your forum posts. That is, unless you'd rather have us reply:

"idk y dont u try restart mayb"

Old 10-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
Masterbaker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
If your yeast is able to ferment at a higher temperature, and you allowed it to ferment at the recommended temperature, it is possible that you just had a very quick fermentation. If this is the case, then your yeast could be dead because of high alcohol content, or there are no fermentables left for the yeast to eat. One way to check, is by taking a hydrometer reading and subtracting it from your original reading, then multiplying it by 131. That will give you an estimated percentage of ABV. For example (if you took measurements at 60 degrees F):

1.060 - 0.995 = 0.065 * 131 = 8.515% ABV

Now if you're using a yeast with an alcohol tolerance of 5-10% then you could assume that either the yeast has died off because of high alcohol content, or because your final gravity reading is low, that there are no fermentables left.

If your FG were 1.020:

1.060 - 1.020 = 0.040 * 131 = 5.24% ABV

Although your yeast would be rated at 5-10%, 5.24% is on the low end of the scale and is a bit suspect. At this point it would look like a stuck fermentation. You could either accept the cider as a low alcohol, naturally sweet hard cider...or you could try to restart the fermentation process.

It would help us help you if you added a bit of substance to your forum posts. That is, unless you'd rather have us reply:

"idk y dont u try restart mayb"
I'm sorry I'm new, i don't have a hydrometer. i used champagne yeast, the temp in the brew closet is 68-75 degrees. i did a piss poor job pitching the yeast, do you think this is to blame?

Old 10-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

6 days at 68-75 w/champagne yeast and it is almost certainly done. Hows it taste?

Old 10-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Masterbaker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
6 days at 68-75 w/champagne yeast and it is almost certainly done. Hows it taste?
have not tasted it, waiting for some word. ill add corn sugar, bottle it, and get back to you.

Quick Reply