Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > I thought I would share some info

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #61
Pith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1.050 comes out at approximately 6.5%abv, right? I imagine it would be easy to over calculate abv for unfiltered, since a lot of the solids would precipitate out and/or be unfermentable, so I think 5% percent abv would be about right as a guess.

3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter (on palm sugar)
Autumn Wheat Beer (on "Profruit Krimsonberries")
3787 Bochet
Jack Keller's Seville Orange Wine
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Blackberry Wine or Bochet
Stout Bochet

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #62
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

caleb!
there i called you that.
if that were the case then you would get a hugely different sg reading on fresh cloudy juice before vs after it settles, or before vs after yeast addition, and that just isn't the case. the best test would be to centrifuge or filter some cloudy juice, measuring before and after, i bet you get bang on the same numbers (maybe i'll try this next time i make some fresh juice for breakfast, and report back, but then again maybe i won't).

Old 03-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #63
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Could be right. Technically the solids aren't dissolved in the mixture so probably wouldn't affect gravity.

3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Stout Bochet

Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #64
caincider
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pith
Could be right. Technically the solids aren't dissolved in the mixture so probably wouldn't affect gravity.
He's right. They are suspended solids. Anyway, back to your original question. All the juice and fresh pressed cider varieties I have measured have consistently been 6.5% on my triple scale. I've checked many brands and types and I keep expecting to find a different reading at some point. Haven't yet, I'd say it was a safe bet to assume 6.5%. I'll keep testing and trying to find an exception.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #65
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caincider View Post
He's right. They are suspended solids. Anyway, back to your original question. All the juice and fresh pressed cider varieties I have measured have consistently been 6.5% on my triple scale. I've checked many brands and types and I keep expecting to find a different reading at some point. Haven't yet, I'd say it was a safe bet to assume 6.5%. I'll keep testing and trying to find an exception.
Is that testing OG and then FG (which was what?) and calculating the final abv? Not familiar with "triple scale".
3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Stout Bochet

Old 10-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #66
Soulshine
Recipes 

So I'm still skeptical abou this but if I create a hard cider from some fresh "brown" cider it really does clear up to a nice golden color? My concern is my fermenter is a 27 gallon fermenter and will have a lot of head space and from what I read this could lead to the cider remaining a brownish color and not clearing up. Any thoughts?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #67
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pith View Post
Is that testing OG and then FG (which was what?) and calculating the final abv? Not familiar with "triple scale".
*** EDIT *** Didn't realize that Pith's question was over a year old.. hope he got that question resolved..

Triple Scale hydrometers are almost standard.. they have three different scales. One for specific gravity, one for balling/brix, and one for potential alcohol.

Typically, we only use the SG scale. The others can be used.. for instance, Brix can be used to get specific gravity.. but, there is math involved or you have to go to a converter. Potential alcohol.. can give you a ball park based on expected final gravity..

However the Specific Gravity scale is what is most useful. You take an Original Gravity reading of your wort.. hopefully very near the calibration temperature that the hydrometer is calibrated to.. usually 60* or 68*. There are brewing calculators that will help you out there. For instance, if your wort is at 70* and your hydrometer is calibrated to 60*, you'll need the converter to find out what the true OG is based on that different temperature.

The OG is not necessarily helpful initially.. but, you should write it down along with the date of the brew process and keep it with the ferment. If you bought a kit, you should be very close to the OG specified in the kit. Then at the end of, or what you think should be the end of the ferment, take another gravity reading. It should be at or near the final gravity listed in the kit. Take this at, say, 10 days into the ferment.. when bubbling has ceased.. or, say, one bubble every minute. Write this down on your brew day notes with the OG. Then take another gravity reading two days later. If the readings are the same, you are ready to bottle.

You can then use the OG and FG readings to calculate your alcohol percentage by volume which is the most common calculation. (%ABV) This can be done by going to a calculator.

There are come great calculators on the web.. I usually use Brewers Friend as there are a number of calculators available including the hydrometer temp correction and the ABV calculators mentioned in my post.

Good luck and ask away for any other concerns.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:46 AM   #68
h2kgummow
Recipes 

maybe some one can shed some light on to my recipe NEED HELP

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/old-family-recipe-cant-get-right-467281/

Quick Reply