Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > I thought I would share some info

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #31
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

should work the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #32
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Rugen - I read that same root beer recipe that claims that the pressure stops the ale yeast. Its one of the most popular root beer recipes on the web and this person does really seem to know his root beer, other than being mistaken about why the ale yeast stops carbonating and he has never had bottle bombs.

My guess is the real reason is that one of his ingredients is keeping the yeast from reproducing - basically acting like sorbate, so that there is a short (12hr) primary fermentation, followed by a weak secondary fermentation that is just enough to carb the bottles before the yeast die. Probably a little risky to do at first but easily repeatable once you have it down.

For that matter if someone is OK with the taste of sorbate, you might be able to use it in the same way to bottle carb a cider, by sorbating and bottling right away. Probably be a good idea to use plastic while getting the process down, before bottling in glass.

If one of the root beer ingredients really does have a sorbate like effect, it might be interesting to figure out which one it is. Maybe it would taste better in cider than sorbate. Probably not tho. Most root beer tastes would not be good in a cider. On the other hand, sorbate probably wouldnt taste too bad in a root beer mix. Be careful letting any root beer mix with your cider equipment. The taste will not come out of plastic and rubber.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #33
George7845
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default huh, vinegar!

If i ferment-secondary then bottle with/out cold crashing or using sulfates (yuck) i may get vinegar? I thought cider would age up to a year before turning into vinegar, i planned on keeping at room temp for a while until i was ready to drink. Am i not right about this? I intended on bottling in beer bottles with capper.

Quote-

Unless you're scoring with a diamond or a front-end-loader, you shouldn't damage your bottles at all.

DmentD

Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #34
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

If you used pasteurized apple juice and were careful about sanitation, you should be okay. If you didn't, and somehow acetobacter is in there, you may get vinegar.

Life can be a gamble!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #35
goiked
Long Time Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Yes to Yates cider if you’re from Michigan. Not happy about their price for a gallon, but the results were good. I used it last fall (2009). It was my first attempt. I was wondering if anyone has used oak cask to age their cider? I am thinking on buying some for my next batch this fall. I also might try it with mead. Any thought out there?

"Sometime too much to drink is barely enough " Mark Twain

Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #36
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goiked View Post
Yes to Yates cider if you’re from Michigan. Not happy about their price for a gallon, but the results were good. I used it last fall (2009). It was my first attempt. I was wondering if anyone has used oak cask to age their cider? I am thinking on buying some for my next batch this fall. I also might try it with mead. Any thought out there?
Casks are kinda 'spensive... I'd go for chips first, to see what result that would get me.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 10-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #37
Barganman04

Recipes 

Default Found this thread great

I found this thread super helpful! Thanks a bunch. I made a "Hard Cider" from cider pressed at a local orchard (Battleground Orchard in Central NJ). Not sure what was in it but I figured I'd try, at the suggestion of a LHBS I used Champagne Yeast. Well 1 year later in the secondary, I now have very dry cider (Tasted good though and still had a hint of apple).

I racked the entire batch to my 10 gallon brew pot adding in about 1.25 Gallons of Unfiltered apple juice to get my gravity to 1.011 (Semi-Sweet) and heated the entire volume up to 170F. I then racked to my sanitized kegs (3.5 Gallons/Each) and flushed the oxygen in the headspace with CO2 and am allowing it to cool naturally in the sealed keg in my 68F Basement.

Any thoughts? I will let everyone know how the backsweetening turns out

Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #38
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I tried that earlier this year with a batch of cranberry cider and did not like the results. Perhaps if I had let it sat longerer it might have been better. I was wondering what it would have been like if I had hit it with the pectin enzyme first. Let me know how yours turns out

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 10-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #39
Barganman04

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
I tried that earlier this year with a batch of cranberry cider and did not like the results.
Just out of curiosity what didn't you like about it?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #40
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barganman04 View Post
I found this thread super helpful! Thanks a bunch. I made a "Hard Cider" from cider pressed at a local orchard (Battleground Orchard in Central NJ). Not sure what was in it but I figured I'd try, at the suggestion of a LHBS I used Champagne Yeast. Well 1 year later in the secondary, I now have very dry cider (Tasted good though and still had a hint of apple).

I racked the entire batch to my 10 gallon brew pot adding in about 1.25 Gallons of Unfiltered apple juice to get my gravity to 1.011 (Semi-Sweet) and heated the entire volume up to 170F. I then racked to my sanitized kegs (3.5 Gallons/Each) and flushed the oxygen in the headspace with CO2 and am allowing it to cool naturally in the sealed keg in my 68F Basement.

Any thoughts? I will let everyone know how the backsweetening turns out
Alcohol's boiling point is close to 174 F. You definitely lost some alcohol, but if you didn't hold it there for long you probably didn't lose too much. You didn't take another gravity after heating it?

Also, are you worried that the unfiltered apple juice added oxygen into the batch, since you didn't mention boiling it first? I don't know whether that is a concern, it's just what I would wonder about.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Quick Reply