Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > How's this reciepe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
egoods
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How's this reciepe?

Not my first time making cider, but nearly. So here's a few questions I have yet to get a clear answer on. I bought 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider (3 Fuji 2 Granny Smith) from my homebrew store. My plan is to add a pound of brown sugar to the mix, then toss in my champagne yeast. Let it ferment in the primary for a month, then move it to my carboy and let it age 5-8months. Bottle carb it in champagne bottles after that and call it a day (well... closer to a year at this point but I digress). Any suggestions? Thoughts? Problems?

In Primary - Basic hard cider - from pasteurized store-bought cider and mystery ale yeast.

In Secondary - Plain American Ale, and yes it's to try and get my significant other interested in home brewing =)

Bottles - air, waiting patiently to be filled with some American Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you like it very dry, this will work. If you want any residual sweetness, read the sticky. Sounds like you have a decent juice mix, it would be a shame to ferment out all the natural apple taste.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Are you looking for something more like wine, or more like cider? for wine, stay with the champagne yeast, but if you want it less booze tasting, go for an ale yeast, notty or s-04 both work awesome.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
egoods
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm definitely leaning more toward a wine with this batch. Just because I get a really really bad hangover with the sweet stuff. My roommate likes it but I'm just not a big fan, the home brew store is getting in more fresh cider later this month and I think I'll go Ale yeast with that.

In Primary - Basic hard cider - from pasteurized store-bought cider and mystery ale yeast.

In Secondary - Plain American Ale, and yes it's to try and get my significant other interested in home brewing =)

Bottles - air, waiting patiently to be filled with some American Ale.

Quick Reply