Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > How much sugar do I add?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
theotheragentm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much sugar do I add?

I have organic apple juice. There's a lot of apple pulp in the juice so measuring with a hydrometer won't work. How do I know how much sugar to add per gallon of juice I'm using?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Devo9
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Measuring with a hydrometer will always work. It is possible that the pulp will affect the reading, but it should be very minor. As long as there isn't a lot of pulp floating on top, you shouldn't have any problems (if it is, just scoop it off). If the pulp is suspended in the cider, that means its density is the same as the juice and shouldn't really affect the reading.

You don't have to add any, cider is usually as simple as just juice and yeast. You can add sugar if you like, but some would call that an apple wine, not a cider. (others might say it depends on how much sugar you add)

Check out the recipe page if you want something more then just plain dry cider:

Cider Recipes - HomeBrewTalk.com

Otherwise, just pitch the yeast and wait.

Adding sugar will increase your alcohol content, so I'd say figure out how strong you want it. After it is done fermenting it, you can also look into adding sugar to carbonate, or stablize and backsweeten.

What kind of drink are you looking for?

How strong? How Sweet? Do you want it carbonated? Do you want some other flavors other then apple?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Devo9
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If you really want to be sure that you have an acurate SG reading, then take a sample and filter it (coffee filter will work fine) and use your hydrometer on that. But it really shouldn't make a big difference, if it makes any difference at all.

This way you'll only be measuring the sugar content of the sample, which is what you want. But as I said, suspended pulp should have the same density and not affect the reading by much if at all.

Quick Reply