How much priming sugar and sweetner should I add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrall

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have done maybe eight 5 gallon (UK) batches of cider so far and I seem to be getting way better.

My current recipe is:

22 litres of apple juice
1KG dextrose
500g white sugar
4 teaspoons yeast nutrient
2 teaspoons pectolase
1 sachet of Champagne yeast.

Well that gives me a very sharp, refreshing and high alcohol brew.

The only problem i'm having is priming sugar amounts and back sweetening amounts.

Any help on amounts would be great. At the bottling stage I get about 42 pints of the brew. I would like it to be medium dry and very fizzy.

I have not done this but based off of others experience you could use 500g lactose powder and 130g of dextrose and that should sweeten and carb up you cider to what you want.

I have not done this but based off of others experience you could use 500g lactose powder and 130g of dextrose and that should sweeten and carb up you cider to what you want.

Thanks for the reply but I don't have lactose powder available to me. I only have table sugar and granulated sweetener (splenda)

Last I used Splenda I found it has about 2.5 times the strength of sugar. So if you know how much sugar would sweeten to your taste then divide that by about 2.5 and that will get you close to the same sweetness level.

Back