Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > How much lactose?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Hermish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default How much lactose?

I have two 5 gallon batches of cider going right now. I am going to be kegging them in about 10 days. They are treetop apple juice, and one has 2 lbs of corn sugar added, and the other has 1lb of brown sugar and 1 lb of honey. They were fermented with Muntons dry yeast. I think I am going to bring at least one keg to thanksgiving, so I want them to be fairly sweet and good for the family. I was planning on using lactose for this. I know that I can add some to one glass and see how sweet it is when I transfer to the keg, but i was hoping someone can give me a ballpark idea of how much will be required for 5 gallons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I'd start with 8 oz., but buy a pound. Since you're drinking it without waiting for it to age and with that high an ABV, you'll probably need the extra.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Hermish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have 2 pounds for the two 5 gallon batches. It might not have a ton of time to age, but it was started awhile ago. The total time from start to when I want to drink it will be about 5 weeks. I'm not sure if this changes anything.

Quick Reply