Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > how much gravity does 1pound of sugar add?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
baddagger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default how much gravity does 1pound of sugar add?

how much gravit points does a pound of table sugar add to one gallon of cider?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddagger
how much gravit points does a pound of table sugar add to one gallon of cider?
~0.008

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
baddagger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

is there anything that i can use that will add more gravity points for pound to pound ratio to the table sugar?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
dnslater
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm new at this, but is seems like using a champagne yeast will consume a higher percentage of sugars and give you more gravity points per unit of sugar? I just made a cider with champagne yeast and a little brown sugar added to the juice, and mine ended about .990. I think ale yeast like Nottingham will leave more sugar behind and end over 1.

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

Old 09-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
SteveHoward
Recipes 

A few references on this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/calculator-how-much-sugar-add-152813/

(It is said that 1 lb of sugar adds .046 onto SG of 1 gal)

I'm keeping this next one stored after finding it on another thread in this site:

http://mpesgens.home.xs4all.nl/thwp/sugar.html

That one has tables for SG to target for ABV, etc. Pretty good stuff (although I haven't verified any of it from experience yet ).

I had a site that showed equivalent of different sweeteners if you wanted to substitute, but ... I'm having a little trouble locating that link right now. There is a difference depending on brown vs. white or honey vs. white from what I remember of reading that link, but I don't remember the conversions (thought I'd be able to locate it again pretty easily).

Old 09-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward
A few references on this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/calculator-how-much-sugar-add-152813/

(It is said that 1 lb of sugar adds .046 onto SG of 1 gal)

I'm keeping this next one stored after finding it on another thread in this site:

http://mpesgens.home.xs4all.nl/thwp/sugar.html

That one has tables for SG to target for ABV, etc. Pretty good stuff (although I haven't verified any of it from experience yet ).

I had a site that showed equivalent of different sweeteners if you wanted to substitute, but ... I'm having a little trouble locating that link right now. There is a difference depending on brown vs. white or honey vs. white from what I remember of reading that link, but I don't remember the conversions (thought I'd be able to locate it again pretty easily).
All of the dry sugars are pretty much 40-46 points per pound per gallon. There is very little difference in gravity between them. Not enough to make a significant difference in abv, anyways.

OP, as far as sugars go, nothing is really going to add more pints per pound. They're all in the same ballpark.

Somebody mentioned yeast... Champaign yeast does tend to attenuate out drier, but in a purely simple sugar environment like cider, all yeasts will attenuate real close o 1.000 assuming the starting gravity wasn't huge.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Quick Reply