Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > How To Make Your Hard Cider Carbonated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
UK_Junglist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default How To Make Your Hard Cider Carbonated

Hi All

I don't want to sound like a complete idiot but im new to the whole brewing thing.

I have just made my first batch of Hard Cider and want to carbonate it, im using coopers pellets as I bottle the cider, I know it can take up to 2 days for the pellet to work but after 2 days the cider I flat as a pancake lol.

Can any one help

Regards

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've never used the pellets but I know using 1oz sugar/1gallon will give about 2.5volumes co2. But it takes 14-21days to naturally carb. If I had to venture a guess I'd say you weren't waiting long enough for it to carb. But again I've not use the coopers pellets before so I could totally be wrong.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've not used them as after reviewing the options I decided that priming with sugar was a lot cheaper for the same results effectively.

When I was researching them though two things did come up on a couple of occasions when any discussion of using coopers carb drops.

1: the two day carb guideline is way out for most people. Loads of threads on this and other forums all point to needing to carb up over 10-14 days or longer despite the claims on the packet.

2. Lots of info to suggest that they benefit from a gentle inversion of the bottle and distribution of sediment after the drop dissolved, and carbonation then happened as expected. ( n.b. this doesn't actually make much sense to me, surely if its in solution, it's in solution, but that's what others have found works)

Ultimately, as I said, I chose not to use them but only because I couldn't get the cost benefit to balance in my mind.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
UK_Junglist
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the reply people.

Looks like ill just have to leave them for a while longer and ignore the coopers guidelines!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

there are so many factors involved, the best coopers can do is give you a guess. in this case their guess happened to be preposterous! the amount of time it takes to carbonate depends on, among other factors, amount of yeast present still in the cider, health of those yeast, temperature, relative activity of that yeast strain at that temp, how much sugar is left, amount of alcohol present, tolerance of that yeast to alcohol, phase of the moon, how much of a hurry you're in, the chancellor of the exchequer, and your mother's maiden name.

Quick Reply