How long will Apfelwein keep in a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This depends on a whole bunch of variables such as ABV, whether it is in primary/secondary/tertiary +, if it has been sulphited etc. The more you can tell us the more accurate the responses you will get. If you followed Edwort's recipe to the letter and it is currently in secondary/tertiary and is not throwing any lees AND has been stabilised with sulphites... I would say around a year to a year and a half max if in favourable conditions (out of sunlight, constant ambient temp.), but I may well be wrong.

Here's the straight forward, simple recipe that rocked my socks last batch:
5 Gallon Mott's
3#'s Orange Blossom Honey
Montrachet yeast

*no additions
So I need to study up on sulphites for preservation, huh?
So

Not if you plan on aging it for less than a year. Anything upwards of that I would start considering it. Just be careful of oxidation.

Revisiting an old thread. My Apfelwein has been sitting on Montrachet yeast for 10 months. Without moving off of the yeast. Has been in dark & cool the entire time. Is this stuff gonna be spent, or is there hope for bottling?
Thanks!

If you let it sit in the carboy for longer than 6 months, can you still. Ottle condition? Is there enough yeast left to carb it up?

of course there is enough yeast... its dormant and waiting for you to bring it back... i've never had the patience to wait longer than 3 months but many have...

Okee Dokee... I was a little worried when I brought my carboys down for inspection and possible bottling. The initial color was slightly darker (deep caramel) than my other one month batches. But, it was even. No color layers, no growth, nothing out of the norm. In general, a 'normal' batch would put out very subtle orange/honey with obvious dry apple notes on the nose. This batch was very predominant orange with background honey. Very evenly structured. 96 bottles now shelved. Gonna be a holly, jolly Christmas!

I just cracked open a 5 gal carboy last night that I put up in 2008. It taste great but a little to dry for me to be really crazy about. I am thinking of blending it with some raspberry cider that I put up in 2009.

I just cracked open a 5 gal carboy last night that I put up in 2008. It taste great but a little to dry for me to be really crazy about. I am thinking of blending it with some raspberry cider that I put up in 2009.

Sweet! Did you leave this on the lees or was it racked off?

Just checked my notes and the raspberry was 2008 also. I did rack it off after 2 months. I fermented it in the low 60's so it took a while. Now I'm curious about my 2007 cider! I'm a little worried....a few of the jugs are starting to turn dark.

Back