The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > how long to ferment cider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
joecheberline
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default how long to ferment cider.

I'm wanting to make a cider for Christmas. (I'm worried it won't be done in time) I'm new to cider but have experience in AG beer. Is there a recipe or any kind of cider that the fermentation period is less. If not no big deal. Please let me know your feedback. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

You can do it possibly in three weeks time. Use 4-5 gallons juice, add three cans juice concentrate, add your yeast. Let ferment out 1 week. Transfer off yeast into bottling bucket, add more juice concentrate in bucket to your taste or liking (I usually use three cans) bottle and let sit at room temp 70*F for about three to five days. Crack one open to see if it's carbed up to where you like it and if your satisfied place the bottles on the fridge to stop or slow the carb process. Enjoy. This is simple and tasty. Of course it gets better with age but it's tasty this young.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
joecheberline
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Do you do a yeast starter? I use the Nottingham dry ale yeast for my beer, I have been told that I can use the same for cider.

When you say use concentrate is that the frozen tubes of juice?

Thanks again

Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

You can do a yeast starter if you want but it's not needed. It took a couple of days to get any action when I did not do a yeast starter but it's up to you. I use frozen apple juice concentrate. My favorite is old orchard brand juice concentrate but you can use whatever you like. The juice I usually start with is Hansens 100% natural. I do a 4 gallon batch and sometimes split it up and add strawberries in a secondary but like you stated you want this by Christmas so just keep it simple and it should be good to go by then. Let me know if you need any more advice. You can look up "starting a simple cider". It's my go to for quick and easy tasty cider.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
joecheberline
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks can't wait to start tomorrow

Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Here's a similar version of the same cider. If I count the days right I think it's only 13 days total. And disregard the pectic enzyme addition. I only use it cause I have it. It's used to clear up cloudy cider and the juice I use is already clear.

This is as simple as it gets and is referred to by many who have tried it comparable yet better and more potent than a Hornby's.

4 gallons Hansens 100% all natural apple juice
2 cans of Old Orchard 100% juice concentrate
(apple cherry or apple raspberry)
Add 1/2 teaspoon of pectic enzyme per gallon
Add yeast (I use wyeast 4766 cider yeast) smack pack

Add all components together in 5 gallon carboy
My activity of yeast started 24 hours after I added it.
After 8 or so days my activity stopped
Transferred to secondary for 2-3 days
I cold crashed for 2 days, added 2 cans of the same Old Orchard apple juice concentrate then transferred to bottles.
I preferred to leave bottles out for 3 to 4 days at 70*F+ for bottle carbing then placed mine in fridge. It turns out bubbly and semi sweet.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Attachment 1

Here's what you can look forward to.
image-2306541452.jpg  

Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Instead of just waiting 3 days, make sure you use a 12oz (or close) plastic soda bottle to check the carbonation!

I had a batch overcarb overnight last week, so its a good idea to check up on them by feeling the bottle. When its as hard as it was with coke in it, then fridge/pasteurize it!

Remember if you are transporting it somewhere (i.e it wont be in the fridge forever) you will NEED to pasteurize. Otherwise you'll have exploding cider.

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

I also recommend the plastic tester bottle. I used to do it but now kinda know what to expect and when.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
CarnieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safa View Post
Instead of just waiting 3 days, make sure you use a 12oz (or close) plastic soda bottle to check the carbonation!

I had a batch overcarb overnight last week, so its a good idea to check up on them by feeling the bottle. When its as hard as it was with coke in it, then fridge/pasteurize it!
I've had my first cider in glass bottles & 1 soda bottle for 2 days, and the soda bottle is now rock hard. I thought it would take 5 or 6 days to carb, so this is curious. I popped one of the glass bottles, and it pours with a nice fizz, but the head immediately disappears and it tastes a little flat....although i'm not used to cider. So i'm not sure what to do...probably safer to pasteurise now given how hard the soda bottle is?

Quick Reply