Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > how long does hard cider last

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
fenux1255
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long does hard cider last

Hello to all and thank you

I have made a few batches of mead, this fall I am going to try making Hard Apple Cider.
My question is once it has fermented and i have it bottled, how long should u let it age?
How long will it last in the 750ml bottle stored in my celler. Does it expire?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Bubbles541
Recipes 

Well, the base waiting time is 2 weeks. That is just a general aging length. A lot of people think you should leave it for a lot longer to let the flavors mingle. I found that my first batch tasted better after 1 week than at 2 weeks. But it is different batch to batch. I'd say drink before a year and a half is up. That will insure it hasn't vinegared(no promises though). And if it goes bad(ie. Vinegar) you still have a lovely apple cider vinegar to use there is a plus side to everything.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I don't even touch my apfelwein til it's a year old. It's a big beverage and needs a lot of time to mellow out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depends on what style you are making. Generally the sweeter you stop it, the earlier you can drink it. I've got a keg in the fridge right now that I pressed just a few weeks ago. It tastes great. The drier it goes, the longer you will need to wait for the acids to mellow out.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Bubbles541
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
Depends on what style you are making. Generally the sweeter you stop it, the earlier you can drink it. I've got a keg in the fridge right now that I pressed just a few weeks ago. It tastes great. The drier it goes, the longer you will need to wait for the acids to mellow out.

That would explain w my cider tasted great after only a week. It only fermented for 7 or 8 days.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
fenux1255
Recipes 

thank you guys this helps i think i shall make mine on the sweet side and if all works out it will be a good christmas treat

Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ding... Sweet = drink soon.... My sweet cider tasted kinda funny 1-day after bottling, but was *Wonderful* 1-week later.... 3 months later -- it was pretty good, but the original appley flavor was starting to mellow out....

Dry cider seems to do way better if you let it sit a while .... especially if you bumped up the Alcohol content with extra sugar or apple juice concentrate..... That's the stuff that tastes like lighter fluid or really Sharp/bitter when you bottle.... and a year later it's delicious....

If I was going to brew up a Christmas Sweet Cider -- I would start it in November...

Thanks

John

Quick Reply