Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > How long does fermentation last

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
MTminded
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long does fermentation last

I am making my first cider and seem stuck on the fermentation stage. I used cider from a farm. I added 1 campden tablet per gallon for 24 hours to kill any wild yeast then added 2 lbs brown sugar and pitched in some wine yeast. It has been fermenting at between 65-67 degrees for a month. I still get bubbles out of the airlock every 5-10 minutes. The air from the air lock smells kind of like a freshly opened bottle of wine. I called a brew shop and they said a secondary fermentation can take place. Have any of you had this happen and is it a good thing. I was hoping to be drinking this by Christmas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 AM   #2
tf2
Recipes 

I don't think a month is a long time. I've had a batch going since Aug. 20 or so, and it's still fermenting a little (pushing a bubble out of the fermentation lock at least a couple times a day). Depending on the yeast you used and your original gravity, you may have a ways to go yet.

if you haven't racked it into a secondary container and there is a lot of sediment at the bottom of the container, you might think about doing so.

Drinking: red ale

Old 11-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Jesse17
Yep....I tell you what...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Did you take a O.G.? If so, I'd check the S.G. to see if it's done. I'd move to a secondary either way.

Quick Reply