The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > How Long does Ferm take to start?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Izzoard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How Long does Ferm take to start?

I added my yeast on Mon eve (SG of juice was 1056) and nothing thus far. I understand that it can take a few days to start to ferment, but at what point do I start to worry and is there anything that can be done if fermentation doesn't start?

I ask this question as my last batch of apple juice didn't ferment at all and I threw it away after 3 weeks.

Thanks for any response!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Did you use pressed apples or apple juice from the store? Some apple juices (even ciders from farms) can contain preservatives that will inhibit fermentation.

Did you prepare your yeast starter properly? Normally this isn't a problem, but it is a possibility. The yeast could even be expired.

Are you 100% that it isn't bubbling already? Make sure that your airlock is secured tightly. If using a bucket, make sure the lid is on tight. Gas will take the path of least resistance and if you have a small hole it will likely escape through there rather than push through your air lock. Also, make sure your airlock is filled properly (to the line).

Did you add anything to the cider when pitching the yeast? Adding certain chemicals or tablets (such as campden tablets) can inhibit yeast. That's one common mistake people will do, is add tablets right before or after adding yeast.

I hope we can help you out, hard cidermaking is a great hobby. It could also just be a very slow fermentation. If nothing works out, take another gravity reading to make sure.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I would have to say just wait a couple more days- I have a mixed grape/apple/mixed berry juice(I was bored) in the ferment right now and it took almost 5 days to really show any signs of life- now it is bubbling away like it is boiling.
For me I just think it is how cool I keep the house set at in the winter. 65 f But once it started it is really going.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
CROM
Recipes 

Im in the same boat, I started on Monday too and no bubbling yet...

I realized after I used the apple cider I bought that it contained Potassium sorbate, which was a dumb move on my part...

I used 6 litres of the apple cider (which was pasteurized and had no sugar added, and the label said it contained 57 grams of sugar) about 18-19 litres of water, and 6 cups of corn sugar, 1 cup of regular sugar... my OG was 1.035

I used some dry nottingham ale yeast, and used double the amount I was suppose to use ( I hate saving yeast ) but I didnt prep it, I just sprinkled it in the wort and gently mixed it in...

it would suck if this doesn't ferment

Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROM View Post
I realized after I used the apple cider I bought that it contained Potassium sorbate, which was a dumb move on my part...
its not going to ferment sorry.

Izzoard check your gravity. if its gone down then you have fermentation and possibly a leak in your fermenter.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
CROM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
its not going to ferment sorry.

Izzoard check your gravity. if its gone down then you have fermentation and possibly a leak in your fermenter.
Ive read some post that say, it can still ferment but its going to be really slow, I figured that since I only used 6 litres of the apple cider and 18-19 litres of water and 7 cups of sugar it might still have a chance...

no?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4197 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Ive read some post that say, it can still ferment but its going to be really slow, I figured that since I only used 6 litres of the apple cider and 18-19 litres of water and 7 cups of sugar it might still have a chance...

no?
If I had to bet, I'd bet no.

You might be able to take some fresh yeast, and start with non-preserved cider and get a big yeast starter going. Then, add a little of your must to it gradually, to ensure that it keeps going. You may be able to overcome the preservatives that way.

But otherwise, I'd say no.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
CROM
Recipes 

damm, all that for nothing, Im going to give it 2 more days then if still nothing, I guess Im dumping it....boo-urns

Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You're fighting a lost battle with that potassium sorbate batch.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Im in the same boat, I started on Monday too and no bubbling yet...

I used 6 litres of the apple cider (which was pasteurized and had no sugar added, and the label said it contained 57 grams of sugar) about 18-19 litres of water, and 6 cups of corn sugar, 1 cup of regular sugar... my OG was 1.035

I used some dry nottingham ale yeast, and used double the amount I was suppose to use ( I hate saving yeast ) but I didnt prep it, I just sprinkled it in the wort and gently mixed it in...

it would suck if this doesn't ferment
If you only used 6 liters of apple cider and 18 to 19 liters of water, wouldn't that be a very weak flavor of apple in your cider? Or is the 6 liters of apple cider a concentrate?

Quick Reply