How long does cider keep once opened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foojoo

Reaction score
How long does cider keep, at least without effecting the flavor too much, once opened and poured?

My first experiment with brewing is a 1 gallon batch of cider. I tried staying as low cost as possible while tinkering with brewing. I don't have any racking or bottling equipment, so I need to know how fast I should drink this down once I open it up.

Also, is racking/siphoning considered necessary with cider? Why not drink the yeast?

No personal experience but I would expect it to at least last a week or two in the fridge once it is opened. It would probably be okay to drink for a few months without a major change in flavor but I doubt your gallon will last that long :mug:

Carbonation is the first to go. When kept in the fridge with a good seal and more than half full it should last 3-4 days without huge losses. Less than half full will be more like 1-2 days.

After a couple days as the CO2 dissipates, oxidation will start to occur, which will also effect the flavor of the cider.

So:
1-2 days good
3-4 fair
5+ poor

Drinking the lees is also fine, and actually good for you. Those guys are full of vitamins and minerals.

i agree. you can always cook with cider that's starting to go stale, it's pretty versatile in the kitchen; sauces, marinades, cider cheese fondue is excellent

Making my old standby recipe of cider pork chops with cider chutney on the side tonight actually. Calls for a full bottle of cider. Half goes in the food, the other half in the chef.

Never thought of fondue though, may have to try that one over the holidays. Do you recommend just a common fondue blend or a special cheese mix?

for me it's often a clean-out-the-old-cheese-in-the-fridge thing. i've done everything from standard gruyere/emmentaler to super-umami strong aged dutch cow's cheese. i think cider goes better with the more standard fondue cheeses, and a malty beer goes great with the stronger ones.

Back