The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > How to increase to 5 GAL?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
Ironman2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to increase to 5 GAL?

Hi, I am new to brewing and this is my first batch of cider I am trying.

I have started a 6 gallon batch of peach cider from the overflowing amount of fruit I picked from my tree. ( Barely put a dent in my tree)

I used about 15-20 lbs of cut up peaches currently in a nylon bag in a 6.5 gal primary bucket.

My question is when I remove the fruit I will have less than the 6 gallons of liquid I will need to completely fill the 6.5 gallon carboy.

What should I use to increase the liquid level to get to the 6 gal? If I just add water would I be diluting the specific gravity too much or would I add sugar to the batch and get a specific gravity of the 1.045-1.05 like I started with?

Currently in process:

5 gal Elderberry wine ( hand picked berries) ready to rack first time in 1 week.
OG 1.13 ( I know about .03 too high) fermentation went crazy. Starting to clear a little now.

5 gal Peach wine (hand picked) fermenting in primary.

6 gal Peach cider fermenting with fruit in nylon bag in primary bucket with airlock.
OG 1.045-1.05.

Peaches coming out of my ears. Made jam, fruit rollups whew!!!!

Currently drinking:

Bass clone Pale Ale Yum. First attempt at brewing love it!!!

Thanks, Don

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Don't worry about topping off the cider. There should be enough CO2 coming out of the cider when you rack it to avoid contamination. Plus, Oxidation isn't much of a problem with ciders. Since you have so many peaches, start another batch.

You might consider adding three or four pounds of very ripe peaches and some Campden tablets. The Campden will kill the yeast & this will give you a little extra sweetness.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #3
Ironman2
Recipes 

Default Ready to Rack

The peaches have been in the nylon bag for about 5 days now and I noticed that the airlock is no longer bubbling at all.

Tonight I am going to remove the bag and rack the cider into a glass carboy.

Questions:

What should the specific gravity be around at this point.

Is there any cause for concern that there doesnt appear to be any more active fermenation since the lack of the airlock bubbling at this point?

How long should I leave it in the secondary?

Thanks, Don.

PS went and picked another 6 lbs of fresh elderberries during lunch today. Couldnt help myself.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Ironman2, where in the OC are you? I'm at work in Yorba Linda right now, but will be going to a jobsite in Irvine in a few minutes.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 07-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
Ironman2
Recipes 

Default Cider Racked

Hey we are pretty close. I work in Mission Viejo and live near Long Beach.

I racked the cider last night. Pretty smelly stuff. I was a little worried upon smelling it but of course I had to taste it. Definately alcohol in it. Very dry though no sweetness at all.

I measured SG took a long time to get the sample cooled down to 60 degrees in my freezer.

The SG measured 1.00. I guess it will drop down to below 1.00 in the next two weeks of so?

Yesterday during lunch I picked arouind 6 lbs of elderberries here in Mission Viejo. There are tons of ripe berries on the trees right now. My elderberry wine is really coming along well. Starting to clear a little but its early and will need the first racking in a week.

Any ideas on which siphon is better than the darn hose and tube. I really dont like that system much especially when you get down to the bottom and while trying to tip the bucket to get all of the good stuff out you let air into the siphon because you need 3 hands to do everything. LOL.

Thanks, Don.

Quick Reply