Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > How do you "spice" up your cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Tnels977
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How do you "spice" up your cider?

I have 6 gallons of fresh-pressed cider finished in the primary that I will be racking this evening. I used a 2:1:1 ratio of fuji:granny smithink lady and Nottingham; OG of 1.050 and FG of 0.998. Took a sample last night and was very pleased; it was very dry obviously, but it retained a lot of the apple flavor, much more than I've ever gotten from store-bought or farmer's market-bought.

I enjoy a dry, tart cider, but I will be giving most of it away once its bottled. I have read lots on the recipe forum about various ingredients to add to the must or the secondary, but I was wondering: does anybody do anything when bottling to add a little somethin' somethin' extra to their cider?

I'd like to experiment with a few different things without adding to the whole batch. I have tried splenda before... never doing that again. My go-to in the past has been to mix in some apple juice concentrate, and then pasteurize after 3 days or so to leave some mild carbonation and slight sweetness.

Would love to hear what's been done by others!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Archer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I tried some Truvia (supposed to be all natural and won't ferment) and a small amount of cherry concentrate flavoring...still aging that one, so I haven't tried it yet...will be about right after Thanksgiving I hope....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply