Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Hops in my cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
Talcottsk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops in my cider

Crazy idea--combining my love for hoppy beer with cider love--anyone tried it? If so, reccommend any hops? Anything I should be careful about? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talcottsk
Crazy idea--combining my love for hoppy beer with cider love--anyone tried it? If so, reccommend any hops? Anything I should be careful about? Thanks
In the UK if you mix half a pint of lager/pale ale and hard cider together it's called a 'Snakebite'. It goes slightly cloudy and has a fairly strange taste really. Not one i'd recommend. Maybe try that first to see if you like it before committing to a full batch!

Old 01-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

If you are looking for hop flavor and/or aroma, try dry hopping bottles of cider with a flower or two. I'd try the spicy/fruity hops like Goldings and Fuggles. You could try a little hop tea in a glass of cider for bittering. Haven't run across the idea before, but adding a spicy note sounds appealing. Maybe I'll try some today.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
In the UK if you mix half a pint of lager/pale ale and hard cider together it's called a 'Snakebite'. It goes slightly cloudy and has a fairly strange taste really. Not one i'd recommend. Maybe try that first to see if you like it before committing to a full batch!

Or a Crown FLoat: Cider topped with cider. The guiness is poured in such a way that it floats. It is NOT supposed to be mixed evenly. (Or is it, cider floats on guiness..can't remember) It's quite tasty really. Taste wierd if they mispour and everything gets mixed.

I've gone to 10 bars and goten 6 diff names for the above. Same with the lager or ale/ guiness drink and I've heard "snakebite" used for the guiness/cider drink, though I think it is suposed to be a pale ale and cider.

EDIT: Here's a list:

Black & Tan: The original a classic layering of Bass Ale and Guinness Stout.

Crown Float: Cider with Guinness topped off as a crown.

CzechMate: Guinness Stout layered 50/50 with Pilsner Urquell.

Guinness Shandy: Guinness Stout layered 50/50 with Lemonade.

Guinness Snakebite: Guinness Stout layered 50/50 with Cider.

Half `n Half: A layering of Harp Lager and Guinness Stout.

Harp Snakebite: Harp Lager layered 50/50 with Cider.

Black Velvet: Guinness mixed 50/50 with champagne.
This famous drink was invented in 1861 at Brook's Club in London. Prince Albert had died, everyone was in mourning, and the story goes that the steward at the club, overcome with emotion of the occasion, ordered that even the champagne be put into mourning, and preceded to mix it with Guinness.
Black Ice : A layering of Guinness and Smirnoff Ice. (must be a new one and pretty cheesey and enough to make a beer drinker cry!)

I think I'm going to try my overly dry cider with my barley wine. The barley wine started off tasting great but after a 2.5 months it has an odd smel and isn't very sweet any more. Though I'm going to see what it is like in a few more months.
(I used an odd specialty ingredient that may just need time to mellow and is more noticeable now that the yeast has lowered the FG over time)

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 01-15-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
If you are looking for hop flavor and/or aroma, You could try a little hop tea in a glass of cider for bittering. Haven't run across the idea before, but adding a spicy note sounds appealing. Maybe I'll try some today.
Talcottsk, i'd try this one by david_42 rather than mine or Denny's Brew 'cocktails' for a true test. If either yourself or david_42 try it i'd be interested in your findings!

Old 01-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Brew
I used an odd specialty ingredient that may just need time to mellow and is more noticeable now that the yeast has lowered the FG over time
Off topic i know but what did you use?

Old 01-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
Off topic i know but what did you use?

Yerba mate as the primary bittering ingredient. I think I used to much. It tasted good the first month.
Could be some oxidation, but I don't think so.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 01-15-2006 at 11:12 PM.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It certainly is an odd specialty ingredient in barley wine! No idea how that would mature.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
Talcottsk
Recipes 

I have some more hop questions--if I just dry hop this my beer expert (brother) told me I will only add the fragrance and no flavor of hops--is it crazy to boil my cider in order to add hop flavor?

And...how much should I add per gallon, I know about 1 to 2 oz per gallon of BEER but this is cider and I don't want to drown the flavor just add to it with a bit o' bitter --any guesses you may have would be greatly appreciated--i know probably noone has tried this :

Old 02-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Regicider
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talcottsk
I have some more hop questions--if I just dry hop this my beer expert (brother) told me I will only add the fragrance and no flavor of hops--is it crazy to boil my cider in order to add hop flavor?
I don't think it's necessary to boil the whole batch. Just take out a little and boil/steep/deep fry your hops in that, then let it cool down and put it back with the rest of the cider.

I like the idea of hopped cider. Keep us posted on the progress!

Quick Reply