Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > homebrew/cider noob recipes!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #21
revkev6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hey guys anyone have an idea how many cups of briwn sugar it would take to bring a gallon of cider from 1.06 1.08? Im trying the 5 day recipe and dont have a scale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #22
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev6
ok so the camden is a no for quick small batches!

interesting on the bottles, I didn't know those would work. what about half gallon juice bottles like ocean spray??

I understand the process of carbing a dry cider... let it ferment out until the SG (is it SG or OG what's the difference? I've seen both used) levels out for a few days then use X amount of whatever sugar you want to carb it before bottling.

is there a method for sweet cider that does not ferment out all the way then you bottle and let carb up a bit then cold crash?? basically leaving some of the natural sugars in the cider. I'm assuming a method like this would have to stay cold??
Don't carb in anything that wasn't used for carbonated liquid before - juice bottles, etc.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #23
Snow4phil
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
hey guys anyone have an idea how many cups of briwn sugar it would take to bring a gallon of cider from 1.06 1.08? Im trying the 5 day recipe and dont have a scale.
I think off the top of my head I found I used about 1/4 cup to raise mine .05 But I used white sugar at that point.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #24
Snow4phil
Recipes 

I added about a cup brown sugar before the primary fermentation (1 gallon batch), and a little white sugar to raise the original gravity of 1 jug. I will be moving cider to a 2nd jug for secondary fermentation.

My question is, when I bottle what is the best method for carbonating. Using priming sugar, or will honey work (figure it may give some extra flavor). Do I have to pasteurize in either case? If honey, how much for 1 gallon, it looks like 3 tablespoons, but those are in my beer recipes.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #25
revkev6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok ok think I'm finally catching a couple things!
SG= specific gravity
OG= original gravity before fermentation
FG= fermented gravity after fermentation

I posted my question last night before I had even started taking any OG measurements. I found the cider I bought to be quite tart to taste and it measured out at 1.045 which I thought was quite low.

I bought 4 gallons of cider and made 2 one gallon batches. first batch I'm going to try the "5 day sweet country cider" recipe from the recipes page. the second batch is going to be closer to Edworts recipe.... we shall see!

5 day sweet country cider:
I warmed 2 quarts of cider and added about 2 cups of brown sugar and 1 tsp yeast nutrient. this brought the OG up to about 1.072. I pitched nottingham yeast dry with the mix of warm/cool cider bringing the finished temp to about room temp. according to this recipe I will stop fermentation early, when it reaches about 1.04. should give me around 4% abv with a sweeter more natural cider taste. I will bottle let carb up then cold crash. Keeping refrigerated until I drink it. if this works out well, in the future I may try bottling with glass and pasteurizing.

apple wine:
warmed 2 quarts cider and mixed in two full cups of white table sugar and 1 tsp of nutrient. OG on this was up to 1.08... should be a hot mix! I pitched EC-1118 dry into room temp cider and it started pushing out a bubble every 15 seconds within 45 minutes! got up this morning and my stopper had pushed out! very annoying. this recipe i'm not sure what I want to do with yet... potential abv is just over 10% if I let it finish. I think I will let it ferment out fully, back sweeten with non fermentable then use table sugar to prime and bottle.

20130917_211440-1-.jpg  

Old 09-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #26
Snow4phil
Recipes 

I took gravity readings yesterday for both my batches. They have both fermented to 1.00. I siphoned both to a secondary fermenter. Do I need to add anything to that? How long should I keep it in there. I know the flavor will improve, but it was very dry champagne tasting. Not bad, but not what I was expecting.

I know my original readings and my post fermentation readings. How do I know what the alcohol % is. I started with 1.080 in 1 gallon, and 1.060 in another gallon. Both finished at 1.000 after primary fermentation.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow4phil View Post
I took gravity readings yesterday for both my batches. They have both fermented to 1.00. I siphoned both to a secondary fermenter. Do I need to add anything to that? How long should I keep it in there. I know the flavor will improve, but it was very dry champagne tasting. Not bad, but not what I was expecting.

I know my original readings and my post fermentation readings. How do I know what the alcohol % is. I started with 1.080 in 1 gallon, and 1.060 in another gallon. Both finished at 1.000 after primary fermentation.
If it tastes like dry champagne, then you did it right!

Look up backsweetening and bottle pasteurizing to see what you can do from here. You could also use an artificial sweetener to make it sweet, then add enough sugar to prime, and you'll have sweeter, bubbly, and high alcohol. But it might taste artificial - I always think it tastes chemically.

The flavor will "improve" with time, but it will always be dry like that, unless you add sugar.

As for alcohol by volume (ABV), you subtract the final gravity reading (FG) from the original (OG) and multiply by 131 (don't know why, that's just the factor). So, 1.080-1.000 = .08 X 131 = 10.48% ABV.

Our plan is to A) try for less dry fermentation, and then B) sweeten it with fresh cider and apple juice concentrate (frozen/thawed). We'll then kill the yeast and keg it to carbonate. So far, all of our efforts have been similar to what you have, EXCEPT the ones that ferment spontaneously in the fridge. Those are the best.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
Snow4phil
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. Would you sweeten with concentracted AJ during the 2nd fermentation or just before bottling? There is room in the carboy after transferring out. I would like to get that space back. I assume there leftover yeast that will reactivate? How long would you wait to bottle after sweetening?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #29
revkev6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Phil.. dont put the ajc in during secondary the yeast will convert it to more abv. Just before bottling then you have to pasteurize it after it reaches a good carb level through testing. I plan to sweeten with non fermentable sugar then priming before bottling with my wine.

How long did it take to hit 1.000

Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #30
Snow4phil
Recipes 

Ok, thanks for the info! See why small batches can be tough if you sweeten. It takes a few bottles just to check carbonation levels.

It took 9 days to reach 1.00. I wanted to check it on day 8 but ran out of time. At the 9 day mark 1 jug was still bubbling steady at 3-5 bubbles a minute but I decided to check it and it was at 1.00.

If you sweeten, do you still add priming sugar? I was thinking of honey to see if it adds any flavor.

Edit-just saw you use non fermentable sugar plus priming. Can it over carb with the tablet drops?

Quick Reply