New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > homebrew/cider noob recipes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
revkev6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok sounds great, looks like I'm going to grab a pack of 71b since it lists 59-86 degrees. just in case we have some strange indian summer going during brew time (although this will be setup in my cellar)

you think I will have a problem with #6 stoppers?? midwest is out of them. will 6.5's fit in wine jugs or the plastic milk jugs that the cider comes in?? everything I read said #6 for gallon glass jugs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
you think I will have a problem with #6 stoppers??
Depends on your jugs. 6.5 works better for plastic jugs that cider comes in and most glass jugs that I've used. A 6 is a little small, which means that to get it tight you need to push it down nearly flush with the top of the jug, which can make it a real PIA to dig back out.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
revkev6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok supplies ordered, #6.5 stoppers.

anyone ever take a look at this site for making cider??

http://www.howtomakehardcider.com/

Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
Snow4phil
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am new to home brewing. I just started my first batch of Cider last night. I am experimenting with two different ciders from the local orchard. 1 gallon pasteurized and 1 gallon non pasteurized. For the non pasteurized I heated it over the stove for about 45 minutes. Each batch I added about 1 cup brown sugar. I ended up adding about a 1/4cup sugar to the pasteurized to raise the SG to 1.060. I am trying the Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast in 1 batch, and the Red Star dry wine yeast in another. Fermentation took off right away in one last night, but by this morning they were both really going. Well see how it goes.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
revkev6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Phil, glad to see another inexperienced brewer in here! can't wait to here how it comes out

Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
Snow4phil
Recipes 

I have a question about the end of fermentation. It has been referenced many times that it ends around the time you get less than 1 bubble a minute. Is that from the air lock or in the carboy/jug?

Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
revkev6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

phil, I haven't even started my first batch of anything, but the little bit of reading i've done mentioned ~3 days of SG readings remaining constant. Do you have a hydrometer??

Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Snow4phil
Recipes 

Yes I do. I forgot about checking that way as well. Thanks for the suggestion. 2 days into the cider its going good, although I did have to move the jugs into the garage because I was getting the "rhino farts" smell really bad, and my wife was having allergy issues, shes allergic to sulpha. We were not sure if it was related, so better safe than sorry. I hope the warmer temp in there does not change anything. I opened the window and am running a fan to keep the temps down in there.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
Snow4phil
Recipes 

Its been a week now and It is still going good. Bubbles are slowing to 4-5 per minute. I had to move the process to the garage early on. The temp in there has been close to a constant 80 degrees, but so far seems to have had no ill side effects. Well see how it goes.

Here are before pictures (bottom picture) The unpasteurized was the natural color. And 5 days in (top picture), the color seems about the same now.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
Virigoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Looking good so far. I'm on my first batch of homebrew with cider also and my carboy is looking very similar to yours. I used edworts recipe. It should be interesting to get it bottled as aged a little

Quick Reply