Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Holy sweet mother of all that is alcohol. Woodchuck Fall Seasonal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
flyweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

if you want to simplify this just a bit and NOT boil any water or AJ....you can get McCormick's Cinnamon extract/flavor....I've used it in 3 of my ciders now at kegging time and you can really control the amount of cinnamon flavor goes into your Cider....I have found that 1 tsp works well in a 5 gal corny.

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
kunstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just try to avoid the artificial extracts...I tried on that was imitation vanilla extract and it tasted very not real

Old 10-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
bigcountrybrew
Recipes 

Ok so I thought i would post back with some feedback

Here is what I did.

6 g of SAM's club Apple Juice
5 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp of nutmeg
1 oz oak cubes - medium toasted
Pectin Enzyme per instructions on bottle. (3 tsps I think)
White Labs WLP005 British Ale yeast - No starter

I boiled the cinnamon sticks in 1/2 gallon of Apple Juice, for 10 mins. I added the nutmeg and Oak Cubes at flame out. I cooled that down in an ice bath and added it to the primary with the other 5.5g of Apple Juice and Pectin Enzymes and let that sit for 24 hours under airlock. OG was 1.045. After 24 hours I pitched the vial of yeast. It took 36 hours for the yeast to start fermenting. I kept the temps at 70F. This seemed to be a pretty slow ferment, taking about two weeks for the SG to drop to 1.010. After two weeks, I bottled using 4.7 oz of corn sugar. I bottle conditioned for 6 days, and then pasteurized the batch.

I am very pleased with the results. Extracting the cinnamon flavor from the sticks, worked perfectly, and made the whole house smell like cinnamon. It is not a Fall Clone, more of an amber clone with a nice cinnamon taste. I cannot detect the nutmeg or oak as of yet. It cleared nicely after six days in the bottle.

Things I will change for the next go around:

I will be making a starter with juice and yeast nutrients, as the lag time made me nervous.

I would also stop it a bit earlier maybe to retain a bit more sweetness, say at 1.014 or 1.012. However, abv would have dropped from 4.5% to 4.06 - 4.32%

I was very happy with the taste, however to get a fall blend clone, one would need to add more nutmeg, or get more nutmeg flavor by adding extracts. I might add more oak or a darker toast, to get more flavor from them as well.

This is the first time I have pasteurized, but it was pretty easy and seemed to work. I have not had any bottle bombs as of yet.

Not bad for something that went from "grain" to glass in three weeks

Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
daugenet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrybrew View Post

I boiled the cinnamon sticks in 1/2 gallon of Apple Juice, for 10 mins. I added the nutmeg and Oak Cubes at flame out. I cooled that down in an ice bath and added it to the primary with the other 5.5g of Apple Juice and Pectin Enzymes and let that sit for 24 hours under airlock.
Just for clarity, did you take the cubes, and sticks out before you poured the apple "wort" in the primary?

Do you think that chips might work better than the cubes? I have been doing a little reading on them and it sounded that if you are going to do a short time that chips may be better than cubes since they will generally "react" quicker. Other people with more knowledge than me will hopefully chime in.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #15
KrayzieVanh
Recipes 

Thanks for the recipe. I will be trying this next!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #16
daugenet
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Anyone have thoughts on trying this with

WLP013 London Ale Yeast
Dry, malty ale yeast. Provides a complex, oakey ester character to your beer.

I have not used this yeast to know just how much or little oak flavor the yeast would impart but would be interested to find out!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
bigcountrybrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenet View Post
Just for clarity, did you take the cubes, and sticks out before you poured the apple "wort" in the primary?

Do you think that chips might work better than the cubes? I have been doing a little reading on them and it sounded that if you are going to do a short time that chips may be better than cubes since they will generally "react" quicker. Other people with more knowledge than me will hopefully chime in.

I did remove the sticks out of the wort, using sanitized tongs. I left the cubes in the primary for the whole two week primary fermentation. If chips react quicker and give off more flavor than cubes, I would try that. I did not want the oak to be dominating; I wanted it to be in the background. However, I do think it could use some more "oakiness". I was hoping to get a hint of vanilla off of them, but could not detect any as of yet, This is still very green as I just pasteurized on Monday. I only used 1oz out of the 3oz package too.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
bigcountrybrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzieVanh View Post
Thanks for the recipe. I will be trying this next!!!
No Prob,
Please post any recipe changes and a review. Like I said, mine is not a fall clone. More of a Amber clone. I would be interested in how any changes affect the cider.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
bigcountrybrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenet View Post
Anyone have thoughts on trying this with

WLP013 London Ale Yeast
Dry, malty ale yeast. Provides a complex, oakey ester character to your beer.

I have not used this yeast to know just how much or little oak flavor the yeast would impart but would be interested to find out!
I would be very interested to see the result of this..

Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #20
daugenet
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrybrew View Post
I would be very interested to see the result of this..
As luck would have it I am about to wash some of this yeast tomorrow so I will let you know how it turns out.

I plan to use your recipe and scale it down to 1gal. I am wondering about the fermenting temp and how much/little ooak may be imparted while avoiding other off flavors that may be generated.... I have looked for other peoples experience on this but I guess I will just wing it

I think i am going to aim a little on the high end for the fermentation temp and hope for the best. (about 70F)

Quick Reply