Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > HOLY CRAP, Graff is good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
jaginger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default HOLY CRAP, Graff is good!

I just pulled off a sample today after 3.5 weeks in primary and the stuff is amazing.

This is what I expected cider to taste like when I first got the idea to brew. It's smooth, easy to drink, appley and of course, alcoholic. I can see a whole lot of fun down the road starting with this base and tweaking and fine-tuning in myriad ways.

I did both a Safale-05 and a Nottingham -- both are very good but I find the S-05 a bit more interesting. I still have an S-04 to pitch for my next batch. I'm going to like brewing a lot more of this stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I'm thinking about turning part of my current batch into graffelwien.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'd be interested how the S-04 turns out. I like Graff a lot, but wouldn't mind just a hint more sweetness and am wondering how the S-04 would work. I've only used Nottingham so far.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaginger View Post

This is what I expected cider to taste like when I first got the idea to brew. It's smooth, easy to drink, appley and of course, alcoholic.
You said it all right there. Apfelweing was a failure to my tastes, so was any combination of sugar, juice, and yeast.

Graff is the only thing that resembles what i think cider should taste like in my opinion.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
snazzy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

O.k. you all talked me into trying some. I have been trying diff recipes and nothing comes out just right. This is next up for me.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My Graff's been in the bottles about a week & a half--being very slow to carb. So this afternoon I couldn't wait any longer, and put one in the fridge to chill. Drinking it tonight and it is great! Even though you can tell it's a touch green and alcohol-y, it's got this incredible smoothness and mouthfeel to it. I bet in a few weeks it will be amazing. I also bet I won't have any left to find out. OK, time to get some more juice and get another batch going!

Old 08-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try it warmed up in a coffee cup some cold night with a little honey and lemon. Some bourban might be good too. I live in the mountais and it's starting to cool down to the 40s and 50s at night. i had a cup the other night and it was incredible. the saaz hops gave it a very christmas spicy flavor.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
swarfrat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
You said it all right there. Apfelweing was a failure to my tastes, so was any combination of sugar, juice, and yeast.

Graff is the only thing that resembles what i think cider should taste like in my opinion.
New guy here.. Graff sounds appealing, of course I found it after my first batch of juice/sugar/champagne yeast first started bubbling last night. But... I don't like beer. I've tried. Just do not like the taste. Don't like traditional wines either - no whites, a traditional merlot or burgundy is ok, but my favorite is muscadine reds. Yes. I know this makes a lot of people turn up their nose, but... this sounds like what I was looking for.

But the hopps kinda worries me. Thats where the nasty beer flavor (excuse me, the acquired experts only taste) comes from, right? Don't want my cider tasting like beer. Just looking for smooth, sweet, bite but not liqorish (dangerous, as people like to say).

Haven't seen it here, but I discovered I needed a check valve after I got home last night with the stuff, so I took a paring knife, cut a hole in the lid of the juice jug, cut a 1" square of plastic wrap, and taped it down on three sides - like an occlusive dressing for a sucking chest wound. This morning it's bubbling away, but not frothing, seems to be thin enough the bubbles burst right away.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Swarfrat, if you don't like hops, just try making a malted hard cider using malt extract without hops. I've looked around a bit outside of this website and there are all kinds of variations of malted ciders. Great thing about homebrewing--you can make what you like!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcobbs View Post
Swarfrat, if you don't like hops, just try making a malted hard cider using malt extract without hops. I've looked around a bit outside of this website and there are all kinds of variations of malted ciders. Great thing about homebrewing--you can make what you like!
I second this...i actually made the Graff recipe without the hops. I wasn't ready for that leap yet, but it still tastes awesome to me. I am going to add a touch of hops on my next batch and see what it does. If I like it, I'll keep going.

Quick Reply