Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Historical cider factoids.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
jkoegel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Always a big fan of how things used to be done. Interesting bit about the hopped cider.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoegel
Always a big fan of how things used to be done. Interesting bit about the hopped cider.
I just bought a hopped cider.... Excited to try it!
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 12-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade View Post
Very fun topic.... Feed my Brian more please..

You have a dog named Brian too? Peter Griffin will be thrilled!
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike

You have a dog named Brian too? Peter Griffin will be thrilled!
Oops ... My brain... Sorry
Speaking of brains, mine is pickled after this holiday season! Lol
Look at the Firedog recipe in the recipe section... Plus while visiting my grandparents there is a huge liquor wholesale warehouse like the size of Costco almost in Laguna Hills California... I literally raped the cider shelf of every single cider there was minus the ones I have tried which only was about 20%...
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 12-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post
- From the 1840s until prohibition, one of the larger cider producers was the Genesee Fruit Company, now known as Mott's.
And Prior to Motts, it was Duffy Mott. One of their locations was in Hamlin NY, just down the road from me.

An exterior view of the Duffy-Mott Company's facilities on Lake Road in Hamlin, N.Y. This photograph was taken in 1977, the year production at the facility was ended. Historical note: This is one in a series of photographs of the Duffy-Mott Company, Inc. facility in Hamlin, N.Y. This company was formed in 1900 through the merge of the W.B. Duffy Cider Company in Rochester, N.Y. with Mott's, which was begun by Samuel R. Mott in Bouckville, N.Y. Both of these companies had been started in 1842 and produced apple-based products such as cider and vinegar. In 1929 the Duffy-Mott Company, which was then based in New York City, purchased the Standard Apple Products Company and its processing plant in Hamlin. The company increased its assets, product line and facilities nationwide through the years. The Hamlin plant, built on Lake Road in the early 1900s, was razed in 1986.

Gigantic apple piles in the yard of Duffy-Mott Company, Inc. on Lake Road in Hamlin. The company mainly produced cider and vinegar until it began branching out to make other products in the 1930s such as applesauce. Several varieties of apples were used in Duffy-Mott products.

Employees of the Duffy-Mott Company, Inc. in Hamlin. These women made jelly (which the company began producing in 1936) and were therefore referred to as the "jelly ladies". Standing from left to right are Mrs. Emma Frost, Ethel Rodas, Ola Perry, Catherine Day, Grace Stevens, Minnie Waterborn, Bessie Merritt, Vera Blodgett, Meta Waterstreet and Lillian Bauer. Kneeling from left to right are Ruth Koss, Esther Miller, Anna DelaLanty and Eva Simmons. In this photograph the women are posing on the scale. A truck driver would place his load of apples on this scale to be weighed and would be handed his weighing slip from the window in the upper right corner.

An aerial view of the Duffy-Mott Company Inc. in Hamlin, looking roughly northeast from the rear of the facility, which fronts on Lake Road. Circa 1974.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider
People Like This 
Old 12-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
UpstateMike
Recipes 

A little more Motts info from their website:

The national debut of Mott's was a springboard for S.R. (Samuel R. Mott), who had been manufacturing and growing apples in New York since 1842, using techniques he learned from his grandfather, Zebulon Mott. S.R. pioneered advanced pasteurization and filtration techniques at his mill in Bouckland, N.Y., and the popularity of his products began to grow.

After the death of one of his sons, S.R. retired from the apple business, selling the company to his remaining sons, John and Frederick, for $1. After John's death, Frederick sold the company, renamed Genesee Fruit Company, to the W.B. Duffy Cider Company for substantially more. In 1914, the two companies consolidated into the Duffy-Mott Company, Inc., a name that remained until it was shortened to simply "Mott's Inc." in 1986. Cadbury Schweppes acquired Duffy-Mott in 1982.

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
bigego236
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade

Oops ... My brain... Sorry
Speaking of brains, mine is pickled after this holiday season! Lol
Look at the Firedog recipe in the recipe section... Plus while visiting my grandparents there is a huge liquor wholesale warehouse like the size of Costco almost in Laguna Hills California... I literally raped the cider shelf of every single cider there was minus the ones I have tried which only was about 20%...
Total Wine and More? Went for the first time a few days ago. Really nice beer and wine selection but I thought the cider was lacking, unless I stopped by after your visit the Bevmo off crownvalley has about the same size selection but of different verities.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #18
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hey Mike,
I'd like to see those pictures. I'm just down the road a bit from you in Hilton.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Gigantic apple piles in the yard of Duffy-Mott Company, Inc. on Lake Road in Hamlin. The company mainly produced cider and vinegar until it began branching out to make other products in the 1930s such as applesauce. Several varieties of apples were used in Duffy-Mott products.
Wow. Anyone else get thirsty just looking at this?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mike, fantastic rundown and photos! Love the 'apple hill' shot. I'm taking an educated guess that the stream in the shot was used to move the apples from one spot to the next? (Apples float after all)

I need more cider in my stock. Guess I'll have to brew today! :-)

Quick Reply