The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Here goes nothing! - (first cider attempt)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #11
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sounds good

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
DSeibel
Recipes 

Cville...Tell me why you would add sugar with an "Apple Taste" when all you are doing is increasing the fermentables, sugar added at this stage is fully consumed by the yeast and brings nothing to the table flavour wise....I normally use good ol' cheap, readily available at any Home Brew store, corn sugar (dextrose). I normally end up with about 9% ABV and a FG of .995ish.

Also, Lunarpancake....normally with unpastuerized I find I get a better fermentation if I treat the juice with K-Meta at the begining (Potasium Metabislufite). It will halt the wild yeast and give your introduced, controlled yeast a chance to take hold as the dominant yesat for fermenting. Also, if you want it clear Pectic Enzyme would work.

If you want my full recipe/instructions let me know...I can email it to you.

DS

Old 10-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #13
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

DSeibel.....i would love to have a recipe to checkout.

Also this is just my first batch so I dont mind letting the wild yeast and yeast I added fight things out. Im sure whatever I get in a few weeks will make me happy....and drunk

For the next batch ill plan things out a little more. This was just the "trial run"

Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #14
DSeibel
Recipes 

I would wait alot longer than 2 weeks. 2 months is the minimum I have waited with positive results, and then another 6-8 weeks in the bottle. I will send you the recipe after via this post.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #15
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

DSeibel - Dextrose is not neutral. It finishes with a slightly beery taste, which is why everyone who makes beer assumes it is neutral. Plain white sugar is a little winey, organic is very slightly caramel, brown heavily so. Three seasons ago I experimented around with about 20 single gallons worth of sugar variations. The closest taste to no sugar when it fermented out was the 2/3 turbinado 1/3 dextose mix that I use now.

k-meta is very harsh tasting, especially with tart juice, and takes a while to subside. That is why you need to wait 2 months minimum to get positive results. I used to wait two months also for ciders made with unpasteurized juice to be drinkable, until I stopped using it at the beginning of last season. Now I wait 2 weeks (at least this time of year - the ferments get longer as it gets colder)

Old 10-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #16
DSeibel
Recipes 

Cville......I read your sticky after I posted...alot of great information. Perhaps I will experiment with other sugars. I am putting 4-5 gallon batches on so I am looking for ideas.

AS for the no K-Meta....how do you ensure the wild yeast is not active before introducing the other yeast?

As for the 2 weeks....the last batch I did didnt even clear until the 4th week or so...could you explain that a little more.

Thanks

Dave

Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 AM   #17
DSeibel
Recipes 

Lunarpancake...here is my recipe I have been doing.....Like I said I love my cider completely dry...which gives me the option to drink it dry, or sweeten it when I serve it. But to each his own.

-Take qty-5 1 gallon jugs of pure fresh pressed unpastuerized cider (no preservatives, no additives). Dump ½ of each jug into sanitized carboy using the sanitized funnel. Reserve one cup cider for pectic enzyme.
-With each remaining ½ jug of cider add 1/5 kg dextrose, 1/16 teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite to each jug (total between jugs is 1kg dextrose and ¼ teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite). Put cap back onto each jug and shake until dextrose is dissolved. Pour each remaining jug into carboy. Use 6th gallon of cider to top up carboy to ensure aprox 6 inches of airspace above liquid.
-Take sample of liquid in carboy and measure with hydrometer. Record original gravity reading. Should be arounf 1.09ish
-Cover loosely with a clean cloth and let sit for 12 hours
-After 12 hours add 1 tspn of pectic enzyme dissolved into a small amount of cider (reserved from before). Add this to carboy.
-Cover loosely for another 12 hours with cloth.
-After 12 hours with pectic enzyme (24 hours total) add yeast (use EC-1118 wine yeast). Just open pack and dump it in the carboy using a food grade funnel (re-sanitized since using for cider). Wash yeast down funnel with leftover cider.
-Ensure at least 4-6 inches of airspace in carboy. Remove middle part of airlock and cap. Fill about ½ full with vodka. Drop in middle part of airlock and ensure it sits about ½ way down in the liquid. Install airlock cap.
-Store in a dark place at approximately 20 degrees C for 6-8 weeks.
-After 6-8 weeks take sanitized turkey baster and take gravity measurement. 2 days later take another measurement. If it is close or the same between the 2 days its done fermenting and ready to bottle, this is your final gravity, should be around 1 or less. Use following to determine alcohol volume.
Alcohol=(original gravity-final gravity) divided by 0.00738

Required for fermenting.

-6 gallons unpastuerized pure fresh pressed cider (Martins Farm St Clements), 6th gallon for top up of carboy within 6 inches of top.
-2Kg dextrose (1 for fermenting, some leftover for bottling)
-1 pack potassium metabisulfite
-1 pack pectic enzyme
-1 pack EC-1118 Lalvin wine yeast
-1 6 gallon carboy
-bleach
-food grade funnel large
-turkey baster
-hydrometer

For bottling you can prime with 3/4 cup dextrose in a bottling bucket...which after 4-6 weeks has a nice fizz. I use 1L plastic home brew bottles (I know I should use glass but this works for me). I have never had a bottle bomb. I leave about 1.5" airspace in each bottle.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #18
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dave - the wild yeast will be active for the first few days. Once the cultured yeast gets going, it will overwhelm the wild yeast. But in its short life, the wild yeast will give the cider a bit of complexity. And you dont have to wait 2-3 months for the k-meta burn to wear off

I cold crash to clear. If you look at page 15 of the sticky you will see pictures of some carboys after 7 days of fermentation. The one on the left has been cold crashed for 24 hours.

If you like it completely dry then EC-1118 is a good one to use. 9% ABV and a FG of .995ish is crazy dry though. Even my friends who are wine geeks and like it really dry draw the line at about 1.002 or maybe 1.000. That's your taste and that's cool. You are lucky to like it so dry because keeping it sweet is a lot harder - but who else do you know that likes it served at 0.995?

Old 10-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #19
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh by the way im using Safale S-04 Yeast

Old 10-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #20
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png