Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Help picking a yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
RugenBrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'll chirp in on the difference us 05 and S04. S-04 is an English ale yeast and I think the end result is a a bit sweeter. You end up with more of an apple taste. I'm finding that this is especially true with ciders that have a lower alcohol level. Say at about 5%. It is very close to Nottingham but just a tad bit sweeter.
I like the US-05 but it is not as sweet and seems to ferment a bit faster than the S 04.
I would experiment with both when you get them. Everybody has a different idea of what cider is suppose to be like , so experiment.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
dimock44
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
I'll chirp in on the difference us 05 and S04. S-04 is an English ale yeast and I think the end result is a a bit sweeter. You end up with more of an apple taste. I'm finding that this is especially true with ciders that have a lower alcohol level. Say at about 5%. It is very close to Nottingham but just a tad bit sweeter.
I like the US-05 but it is not as sweet and seems to ferment a bit faster than the S 04.
I would experiment with both when you get them. Everybody has a different idea of what cider is suppose to be like , so experiment.
Thanks for the input. I learned to like cider on several trips to London and I seem to prefer 6 to 7% types that are not so dry. I do experiment but only til I fall down.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 AM   #13
pulykamell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayInUT View Post
Use either WLP300 or WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan (they are both the same yeast).
I'll second this one. I have batches in the cellar now with 3068, Nottingham, Lalvin EC-1118, S-04, Nottingham, Cotes de Blanc, and wild yeast, and so far the Wyeast 3068 is the tastiest and most interesting, along with the wild yeast. The EC-1118 is great, too, but very clean and champagne-like.

Quick Reply