help with out yeast old fashioned natural brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrisket2012

Reaction score
My great grand father had some great cider but it was natural right off the press no additives it was sweet and smooth not beer like more like liquor. Ive gotten cider to harden but stoping the fermention is the tricky part im new to the process but i know he never used yeast. Anybody got any ideas

i would imagine that grampa just let it ferment until the yeast fermented all the sugar out, and then died or went dormant and dropped to the bottom of the carboy. no need to stop the yeast if all of it's food is gone.

conrad

Of course he used yeast! He probably just used the yeast naturally on the apples, and didn't add cultured yeast, but yeast was definitely part of the fermentation.

I was talking with our company foreman about cider and he said they used to just go get a gallon jug of cider, open it, and come back in about two months. Non-pasteurized cider I'm guessing, this was ~20+yrs ago and we live near a big orchard (Bishop's Orchard in Guilford, CT)

Ok im new to brewing so what yeast should i buy for good hard cider not beer style and how would i stop fermention when i have the right alcohol level

Back