Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Help! New to brewing- have a few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
starfragment666
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help! New to brewing- have a few questions

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if you could answer a few questions?

I bought some apple juice today with the hope that I could get started, but now it looks like i dont have all the equipment I need.

i bought a starter kit:
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/cider-...pment-set.html

plus 6 demijohns, campdem tablets, yeast and yeast suppliments.
Ive just checked and my demijohns did not include airlocks which renders them useless for now.

*EDIT* The demi johns i bought are plastic and came with a cap and grommit- but no airlock

I'm due to leave in a few days so cant order the airlocks for them to arrive in time. Can i leave the cider to ferment in the fermenting bin? and will i need to fill it up to the top to prevent it turning into vinager?

Apart from all that I think everything else I need to do.

Many Thanks
Nicola
p.s- sorry if these questions have already been asked, but i've been looking online for ages now and haven't got anything conclusive.

Last edited by starfragment666; 04-29-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Many people do not use airlocks for primary fermentation as the co2 given off protects the must. You can cover with a towel to keep dust and debris out. You can make a low tech airlock with a balloon with a small hole to let gases escape. (condom could work also althouth I would stay away from the prelubed variety)

Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have always used airlocks, but I have seen people wedge a piece of tubeing into the neck of the carboy/demi john and (aka a blow off tube) and run that into a jar of sanitizer. You could get the tubing from your local hardware store.

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind
- Humphrey Bogart

My Keezer Build

Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
starfragment666
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
Many people do not use airlocks for primary fermentation as the co2 given off protects the must. You can cover with a towel to keep dust and debris out. You can make a low tech airlock with a balloon with a small hole to let gases escape. (condom could work also althouth I would stay away from the prelubed variety)
Thanks for your replies
Just to clarify, are you suggesting that i brew the cider in the demijohns and cover that with a towel?
This will be my first brew so I want to get it right! :P

Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
cl330b
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Personally I love these. I haven't used an airlock in quite a while. These are worth every penny.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/7-VEN...PER-P2666.aspx

Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I second the vote to poke a couple holes in a condom and cap it onto the carboy. If you're in a time crunch and no local home brew store near by, I highly suggest this approach. You can name it "safe cider".

Of course you will likely run down to the local walgreens and buy a pack of water balloons instead, but think of the story you can tell when your friends have had a few and you tell them you used a condom to brew!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
starfragment666
Recipes 

Haha! so you suggest doing all the brew stuff then just adding a condom to the neck of the demijohn with holes in it? Thinking about doing this tonight as ive got everything else atm
Lol, a demi john with a little johnny hat!! :P
Thanks

Quick Reply