Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Help! My cider has started fermenting!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
hjones1119
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help! My cider started fermenting by itself in the plastic jug!

Went on a road trip to VA this weekend with the hubby. Bought a gallon of cider that we were told was pasteurized but is clearly not. After 48 or so hours in room temperature, the plastic jug it's in expanded and it appeared fermentation had begun. The lid was about to explode off so I took plastic strip and I can hear air escaping.

So.... Do I put it in a carboy with an airlock and hope for the best, throw in some campden tablets, try and kill what it's doing and then try to restart fermentation later with my own yeast or just toss my expensive, far traveled cider?

Please help!

Last edited by hjones1119; 12-17-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: All the auto correcting typos, thanks iOS!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
hjones1119
Recipes 

Apologies for the typos... I'm on my phone and the app only let me see half of what I was writing...

Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Put it in a carboy and let the wild ferment keep going. Don't forget to swish the plastic gallon jug to get all the "gunk" at the bottom. Let it go for about 3 months, see what happens.

Last year, I had a gallon jug start a ferment on me too. I had it in a cool garage. It turned out pretty good!

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with UpstateMike, just let it go wild, you may be pleasantly surprised withe results.

Also, just because it started to ferment naturally doesn't necessarily mean that the juice wasn't pasteurized. All types of pasteurization from UV, to flash, to full heat will eventually ferment. Yeast is all around us.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
hjones1119
Recipes 

Thanks all! That's what we did yesterday... thank goodness we had an empty carboy. Sterilized it, poured it in... when there was about an inch left, we "swooshed" the bottle. We lost a bit of liquid though, it seems.. It only filled about half a gallon carboy. There's what looks like two small chunks of apple skins floating around in it, which probably has a little something to do with it's spontaneous fermentation.

We'll see what happens come spring!

Quick Reply