Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Help! my Apfelwein smells baaaaaaaad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Help! my Apfelwein smells baaaaaaaad

This is the 2nd batch I've fermented with EC-1118. The first one was so bad I dumped it. This one is super sulphuric. I whipped it with a wine whip, which helped a little, but still smells eggy. Tastes ok. Smells bad.

Both batches I've made with Cote des Blanc turned out great. And I decided to buy some 1118 when the shop was out of CdB.

I've thought about trying to mask it with fruit additives. Extracts? Or fresh fruit soaked on vodka overnight to pasturize? Or is there any wine additive that will snuff out the sulphur smell?

The cider is 6 weeks old. Used White House apple juice. (Actually both times I uses the White House and EC-1118 combo I've gotten bad results.) fermented on the floor of my basement room temp ~69.

Any suggestions appreciated.

"Gonna dig a mote. Fill it up with ale." Neil Fallon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
HappyCider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you add yeast nutrient?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 365

How long did you let the first batch age before dumping?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Yup. Diammonium phosphate.

Wonder if I keg an carb.. Would the CO2 push out the funk?

First batch cleared up in about a month and was clear for a couple weeks I guess. It smelled so bad I got mad at it and dumped.

"Gonna dig a mote. Fill it up with ale." Neil Fallon

Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Try boiling some bread yeast and dumping that in. I've used ec1118 for 3 batches of cider and 2 of mead, no sulphur smell.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
HappyCider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you can get your hands on a foodsaver I've had awesome results using vacuum degassing to get rid of the hydrogen sulfide.

Another trick is using a piece of copper pipe from the hardware store to stir it up and convert it to copper sulfide which settles out. Just make sure you give it enough time to settle.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If it's apfelwein, it's Rhino Farts. If you looks at ALL the threads on making apfelwein, you should have noticed that the topic of Rhino Farts comes up in every thread. IT'S COMMON.

So common, THERE'S A NAME FOR IT. And even pictures.

You don't need to do ANYTHING. It will dissipate and your apfelwein will be fine. You don't need to add boiled yeast, or copper pipe, or calling a voodoo priestess, all you needed to do was actually look at all the discussions on the topic, and rdwhahb.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

michael_mus Likes This 
Old 02-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1607 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 2652

Sammit, Revvy, I just snarfed my seltzer.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
HappyCider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While it is common I don;t really understand why everyone seems to accept it so freely. There are is an easy way to prevent it most of the time.

I just posted this in another thread but it seems applicable here too:

Part of normal yeast growth is reducing the sulfur present in the must into sulfides. The yeast then needs nitrogen in order to continue converting the sulfide into essential amino acids such as cysteine and methionine. If there is insufficient nitrogen, the yeast cannot complete this amino acid creation. Since the production of sulfides is unregulated though it continues churning out sulfides that have no place to go except combine with hydrogen and form hydrogen sulfide, a.k.a. rhino farts.

Since nitrogen is generally lacking in apple juice/cider it is important to add yeast nutrient to give the yeast enough nitrogen to allow it to utilize the sulfide it produces. I typically shoot for 3 tsp in a 5 gallon batch.

There are of course other issues that can cause rhino farts but I would bet that this is the one that causes the most complaints.

Here is some more knowledge in case you feel like reading:

http://www.slideshare.net/vitisdivine/sulphur-containing-compounds-produced-by-fermenting-yeasts

http://www.apps.fst.vt.edu/extension/enology/downloads/SLOFactorsFinal.pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=q_AkYRM-RR8C&pg=PA346&lpg=PA346&dq=wine+sulfur+nitrogen+cy steine&source=bl&ots=ZykJePRo_i&sig=TvgLYD4dY2vVjW V7XebqL2vW5sU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZP8bUb2AEsXuyQGhtID4Dg &ved=0CEkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCider View Post
While it is common I don;t really understand why everyone seems to accept it so freely.
Because most of the time, when folks are brewing apfelwein, it's their first time brewing ANYTHING And they don't have access to that info...It's not mentioned IN THE ORIGINAL THREAD...

But guess what? Despite the fact that Apfelwein quite often SMELLS like that. It dissipates in a few days, and the drink manages to get you kick your ass over teakettle, and smell fine when doing so.

So that's why we "except it so freely," because it doesn't mean anything to the finished product.

Bottom line, is if you do something to avoid it, fine, if you don't and it stinks, that's fine too......but the final product, will be fine either way.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply