Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > help, to much metasulfite

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
brewtroll
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default help, to much metasulfite

while pressing my apples last week we had some of the old cider. told the bother in law to add the metasulfite. it was to be at 1/4 teaspoon to the 5 gl but it ended up as 1/4 a gl so 1 1/4teaspone in six gl. I found this out when the yeast would not take after pitching and repitching. had to ask how much slufite was used. I put it in the beer boiler and heated it to a simmer not a boil and cooled it then repitched yeast but still no fermenting . i thoought heat might deactivate the sulfite. do i need to boil it or is it fertalizer for the lawn now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4282 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 829

The sulfite will eventually dissipate, but I don't know how quickly. Splashing and stirring alot will help it go away. It still might take a while though.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yooper is right, splashing and aerating should help. Another more radical solution is hydrogen peroxide which binds SO2 strongly, but can ruin cider if you use too much. I'm wondering if you rehydrated your yeast?

Old 09-18-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
brewtroll
Recipes 

it is in the grass now. I had used liquid yeast and rehydrated dry put it is done now. durring the week it found a bacteria that was at home. when i opened the fermenter today it had a slime on top. so out it went. LIVE AND LEARN. read twice, drink once. lost a whole day of picking ,crushing and pressing. oh my there sure are a lot of apples this year. i'll try again.

Quick Reply