Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Help with cider making

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
tuggy53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with cider making

First time I have tried to make cider, decided to go the wild yeast way, all fine but the fermentation has stopped after 2 days , is this normal please

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Maverick22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No, it's not. How are you sure it has stopped?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Mozart
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 14

There's not much to go on here, and I'm relatively new to homebrewing in general, and the closest thing to cider I've made is a batch of graf - nor have I tried using wild yeast.

What I can say (based on my limited experience, but I do read a lot on HBT!) is that fermentation stopping after two days would seem unusual - which leads me to believe fermentation probably hasn't really stopped.

Don't confuse a lack of airlock activity with the end of fermentation. It's not a reliable indicator.

The only truly reliable indicator is taking specific gravity measurements with a hydrometer. When these measurements hold constant for three days, then one can more reasonably conclude that fermentation has completed.

First, I'd give it more time. Most of us ferment for a couple of weeks, minimum.

Second, if you're still concerned, you can try gently swirling the fermentation vessel to rouse the yeast and move it to a slightly warmer location to encourage the yeast to pick up the tempo.

Of course I encourage those with more experience to chime in, but again, I think two days is too quick to come to any conclusions.

Drinking: Hefeweizen
Carbing/Conditioning/Aging: Nothing
Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
tuggy53
Recipes 

There is a layer of froth on the stop but I have not seen a bubble for a day or so, although I don't stand and stare at it for long. I will take the pg and see if it changes as you recommend. Many thanks for your advise I will keep you informed

Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Mozart
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If you still have a layer of froth on top, it's almost certainly not done fermenting.

SG readings are the best way to make the determination, but were it my cider, I's probably let it sit for a couple of weeks first.

I can sympathize, though, patience regarding this hobby doesn't always come easily!

Drinking: Hefeweizen
Carbing/Conditioning/Aging: Nothing
Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
tuggy53
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart
If you still have a layer of froth on top, it's almost certainly not done fermenting.

SG readings are the best way to make the determination, but were it my cider, I's probably let it sit for a couple of weeks first.

I can sympathize, though, patience regarding this hobby doesn't always come easily!

Sg has not moved for 24 hours. No bubbles. Sg 1004 . Can I add yeast now to get it going or is that a no go

Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
tuggy53
Recipes 

Sg has not moved for 24 hours now. Is it possible to add yeast at this stage or is that a no go as I am using wild yeast

Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Leithoa
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Unless you add a large amount of yeast to the batch the wild yeast will prevent them from taking hold. Also unless you add more sugar there is very little for any yeast to ferment.
An FG of 1.004 isn't abnormal. With yeasts chosen for fermentation(montrachet, 71b, &c) 1.000 or 0.998 aren't uncommon but for something that happened to land on your apples 1.004 is probably about as low as it's going to go.
At this point you're just letting it bulk condition.

1°:Haphazard cyser, Graham's English Cider, Cider; Conditioning: Banana wine, Cider, Orange/Clover blossom mead, Cyser, JAOM, In like a Lion RIS ; Drinking: In like a Lion RIS; Mango Melomel

Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
tuggy53
Recipes 

Do you suggest I leave it alone. It tastes sweet . I only made it a week ago and I have been told to leave it although it is not bubbling

Old 09-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
mrphillips
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I am in the EXACT same boat. I put my 1st cider in the primary 2 days ago, and while fermentation was vigorous after 12 hours, it has since appeared to stop. I added 2 cups of brown sugar to mine, so I KNOW there's enough food in there for those little yeast buggers. I felt the same after my 1st homebrew stopped bubbling after 2 days...and it turned out fine.

What yeast did you use? I used S-04...but I had NO idea what yeast to use, so don't base my choice on very much.

Quick Reply