Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Help with cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
fiddup_is_a_middup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Help with cider

I came across a bunch of apples (Red Delicious/Jonathan Hybrid) from my parents farm. I've never made cider before, but have about 20 batches of beer Under my belt. I was wondering what would be the best way to make a cider from whole apples without the aid of a crusher or juicer. Is it worth my time to try, or should I just make a **** ton of apple pie

(I will atleast make an attempt (1 gal) batch, but wondered if you brilliant guys could give me a few pointers. Thanks.

Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
OdinOneEye
Recipes 

I'd say you'd be better off making an @$$load of apple pie, friend. Without the crusher or the juicer, you aren't going to be getting a lot of juice out of the apples- which, as you know, is integral to the cider process.

I'd say the best way to experiment with making hard cider, if you still want to, is to get a gallon of pre-juiced apple cider from an orchard that does juice their apples, or from an organic food store. You want something that doesn't have any preservatives in it- Pasteurization is fine, so long as no chemicals have been added.

Otherwise you've got to haul around huge piles of heavy apples, mash those up, squeeze the juice out, go to all the trouble of making your own cider, and frankly, that's just too much work for something so tasty, wouldn't you agree?

I never met a homebrew I didn't like.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
fiddup_is_a_middup

Recipes 

I have a food mill, would that help anything

Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Quick Reply