Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Havong a go at unpasteurized cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
kgressler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Havong a go at unpasteurized cider

I just began brewing my first batch of hard cider made with "Sams Club" cider a few days before Thanksgiving using EC1118 following the "Everyday Simplest Dry Cider" by Phug.
After spending way too many hours reading the forum here It seems like EC1118 and crappy cider from the store may not give me the best results.

So Ive been on the look out for some homemade cider straight from a orchard for the last week. After a few days and many orchards either not having any because of a fire or two others who have preservatives in their cider. I finally ran across a very small orchard named Dolls Orchard thats about 45 minutes away.
No preservatives and not even pasteurized for $5/gallon. After chatting a bit with the guy he said if i needed more he would cut the price another .50/gallon if i brought my own vessel next time. This is a mixed cider with Jonathan, golden delicious and i believe winesap.

No extra sugars at all just letting the juice to the work. The OG is 1.056 with what a appears to be around a 7% ABV.
After reading CvilleKevin's thread I decided this time I will be using Nottingham Ale as my yeast and use his method of cold crashing around 1.006 and 1.012. It make a lot of sense to cold crash at a certain sweetness instead of back sweetening like I will be doing with my first back with EC1118.
Had to run by a homebrew store since I only have one primary. They didnt have plastic carboys so I had to use glass.
Has me slightly concerned because I am a bit of a bull in a china shop at times but I just have to take extra care.

My hope is this batch might be drinkable much sooner than the EC1118 batch.
Really only thing I need is some bottles. I plan on bottling these I guess it depends on if the cold crashing works or not if I pasteurize.

I will update this as I go.

img_label.jpg   img_gravity.jpg   img_abv.jpg   img_carboy.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
kgressler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure why the photos are sideways. Sorry about that I tried fixing it but some reason I cant figure it out.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Grab a plastic milk crate and put your carbon in it. It's a lot easier to move and less chance of bumping it or knocking it over.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Sounds like reasonable mix of apples for Illinois, keep searching and you might find someone growing some cider apples specifically for cider. Are they any ciderworks in your area? The one near us sells a cidermakers blend of whatever they are pressing from real cidermaking apples. Make sure you take your new fried a bottle to try next time you go to chat them up. Sometimes the orchards will have just a few of the older kinds of trees that they planted for the heck of it so you might ask them what are all the kinds of apples they grow. WVMJ

Old 12-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
kgressler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mark thanks for great idea. Let me see if I can track one down. Not gonna lie I was a bit nervous carrying that thing down stairs.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
kgressler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WVMJ good idea bringing a few bottles for the guy at the cider orchard. Especially since I will have over 100 bottles in a few months.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
kgressler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1417975309.672523.jpgimageuploadedbyhome-brew1417975323.880723.jpg

Around 20 hours in and the action seems to have begun.
Temp as you can see is about 58-60. I have this sitting down in a basement bathroom to keep temps stable throughout the fermentation.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
kgressler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1418165457.666970.jpg

Krausen really starting to pick up
after 72 hours.
Nice and steady temperature 62-64.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #9
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm curious, why are you showing the red, white and green section of the hydrometer. Is that the scale you are using? Congrats on the fresh cider.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
kgressler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

MindenMan

The hydrometer has 5-6 different colors I guess those three are the colors that are between the 5 and 7 percent reading.
Honestly I've never used a hydrometer before so I just spun it inside test jar and read where it stopped.
I'm getting impatient that's for sure. Although my first batch of store bought cider is getting close if I can get some bottles I may be able to bottles these this weekend.

Quick Reply