Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Have I made a silly mistake with Citric acid and Perry???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
tombob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Have I made a silly mistake with Citric acid and Perry???

Hi,

Im new to wine making and cider making, and thus I think that I have made a very bad mistake. Can I ask your help please.

Recently I made some elderflower wine. I used elderflowers, water, sugar, yeast, citric acid and yeast nutrient. It has turned out ok, we tried the first bottle last night.....

Now I thought id do my Perry in a similar way as the Elderflower. I juiced the pears, let the juice stand overnigtht and added the same ingredients as above (ommiting the water), gravity after some extra sugar was 1055............
But I added 1 tsp of citric acid per gallon. I have since read that pears contain high levels of citric acid, and if not careful this can be converted to acetic acid and ruin the Perry.

Can I add anything quickly to neutralise the citric acid, before its had a chance to go to vinegar.

Any help would be gratly appriciated, as I was getting rather excited about this Perry, now it looks like I could have messed the whole deal up.

Thankyou

Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
tombob
Recipes 

Anyone please?

Its bubbling away like crazy today, and quite frothy.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
pimento
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think it's an issue. From my understanding the conversion of citric acid to acetic acid still requires acetobacter bacteria.

As long as your sanitation was good, you should be fine.

Quick Reply